Columbia, MO (PRWEB) September 27, 2007
COLUMBIA, Mo. -- Voters have used the VAJoe.com Candidate Calculator more than 400,000 times since its release in mid-September (a specific date would be better. Do you know?). The calculator is an online poll that matches users with their most likeminded presidential candidates after they indicate their stances on 23 political issues. The CNN political news show The Situation Room aired a story about the calculator on Sept. 20, and prominent political blogs also have mentioned it.
As of Sept. 25, here are some of the more interesting results from the Candidate Calculator:
- Favorite Candidate Before Taking Poll
Before taking the poll, respondents indicate which candidate they prefer. The most popular candidates are:
- Fred Thompson--23 percent
- Hillary Clinton--18 percent
- Rudy Giuliani--15 percent
- Barack Obama--11 percent
- How Often Favorite Candidate Matches Candidate Chosen by the Calculator
However, after completing the poll only 13 percent of respondents match their preferred candidate with the candidate that the calculator determines as agreeing with them most on issues.
- John Edwards supporters have the lowest match rate. Only 2.7 percent of respondents that indicated John Edwards as their favorite candidate received him as their best match.
- Supporters of Dennis Kucinich have the highest match rate, at 48.8 percent.
Most-Frequently and Least-Frequently Matched Candidates
The candidates most frequently calculated as top matches are:
- Mike Gravel--14 percent
- Tommy Thompson--12 percent
- Dennis Kucinich--10 percent
- The least-often matched candidates are:
- John McCain--.5 percent
- Sam Brownback--1 percent
- John Edwards--1.5 percent
- Composite Candidate
The calculator compiles the most popular responses from all respondents to create a composite candidate, a candidate whose views match most with the average responses of users. The highest-ranking composite candidates are:
- Joseph Biden--43 percent
- Barack Obama--41 percent
- Tommy Thompson--41 percent
- Important Issues
The three issues in the calculator most often marked as having the highest importance to the user are:
- Iraq Surge
- Free Trade
VAJoe developed the Candidate Calculator as a thought-provoking tool to prompt consideration of important issues facing our country. The Candidate Calculator is not a scientific poll and should not be cited as such.