Cambridge, MA (PRWEB) October 3, 2007
Wingware announced today the release of version 3.0 of Wing IDE for Python, its integrated software development environment for the Python programming language.
Wing IDE provides powerful code intelligence, editing, testing, debugging, and search capabilities that reduce development and debugging time, cut down on coding errors, and make it easier to understand and navigate Python code.
Highlights of the Wing IDE 3.0 release include:
- Multi-threaded debugger
- Debug value tool tips for symbols under hovering cursor
- Auto-completion and call tips in debug probe and interactive shell
- Automatically updating project directories
- Testing tool, currently supporting unittest derived tests
- OS Commands tool for executing and interacting with external commands
- Introduction of Wing IDE 101, a free edition for beginning programmers
- Available as a .deb package for Debian and Ubuntu
- Support for Stackless Python
- Support for 64 bit Python on Windows and Linux
About Wing IDE
Wing IDE is a software development environment that focuses on boosting programmer productivity and software maintainability.
Key features of Wing IDE include:
- Module and class-oriented code browser
- Goto-definition, auto-completion, call tips, and source indexing
- Powerful code editor with syntax highlighting, error indicators,
structural folding, auto-indentation, emacs emulation, named
bookmarks and much more
- Emacs, vi, visual studio, and brief keyboard emulation
- Integrated unit testing tool
- Interactive graphical and command line debugging tools
- Web development with Zope, Plone, Turbogears, Django, CGI, and others
- Cross-platform GUI development with PyQt, wxPython, Tkinter, and PyGtk
- Ability to debug remote processes and embedded application scripts
- Multi-file wildcard and regular expression search and replace
- Software project manager
- Code templates/snippets
- Integrated auto-completing Python command shell
- Many customization options
- Extensible with Python scripts
- Revision control with CVS, Subversion, and Perforce
- Access to product source code
Wing IDE runs on Windows 2000 and later, recent Intel Linux systems, and OS X 10.3.9 or later (with X11 installed). Solaris, *BSD, Linux for PlayStation 3, and other Posix platforms are supported for customers willing to compile the product from source code (requires a non-disclosure agreement).
A single-user license for Wing IDE costs $179 US (Professional edition) and $35 US (Personal edition). Wing IDE Personal omits some of the features listed above and is for non-commercial use only. Wing IDE 101 is a free scaled back edition designed for teaching entry level programming classes with Python. The software is obtained by download. Each developer license includes free website and email support, and free minor release upgrades. Volume discounts and paid support packages are also available.
A free trial, additional information, and on-line store are available at http://www.wingware.com/
Python is a powerful object oriented programming language that is
developed and maintained by a global community of open source
contributors, under the oversight of the Python Software Foundation.
Python's unique blend of simplicity and power excels in a wide range of software development tasks, including the construction of web
applications, complex integrated business solutions, scalable services, and desktop applications. Python is often characterized as an agile language that promotes speedy development and includes a unit-testing framework for building more robust applications.
Python is a compelling alternative to proprietary development platforms based on Java, C#, and other languages. Powerful web development platforms such as Zope, Plone, Turbogears, Django, Webware, and Quixote; GUI development toolkits wxPython, PyGTK, and PyQT, and extensive support for Internet services development and integration make Python an excellent broad-based development platform.
Companies using Python include Google, Microsoft, YouTube, RealNetworks, Hewlett Packard, Rackspace, RedHat, NASA, Disney, and AstraZeneca.
Key features of Python include:
- Object orientation, modular name spaces, exceptions, and
- High-level dynamic data typing and very late binding
- Tight integration with C, C++, .NET, and Java modules
- May be compiled to Java byte code for use in any JVM
- Can run under .NET using the IronPython implementation
- String and regular expression processing
- Extensive XML and web services support
- HTTP, FTP, SMTP, POP, IMAP, NNTP, telnet, and other IP protocols
- HTML, MIME, base64, binhex, uuencode, and other Internet data handling
- GUI development and multimedia services
- Unit testing, profiling, and documentation generation
- Available third party modules for database access, math, 3D modeling,
image processing, LDAP, WebDAV, jabber, MIDI, and much more
Python runs on Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Unix, OS/2, WinCE,
and many other operating systems. Full source code is available for thelanguage and its standard libraries.
P.O. Box 400527
Cambridge, MA 02140-0006
Email: sales at wingware.com
# # #