As the purchase of medical plans online grow, so will the number of online agencies promising cheap insurance rates. Health insurance is not like buying a book online
Calabasas, CA (PRWEB) October 17, 2007
An increase in health insurance plans being sold online may leave consumers with plans solely driven by price -- while sacrificing needed benefits -- says BenefitPackages.com. The Web-based company is a full-service insurance agency, and is currently taking steps to teach online consumers what to look for when purchasing plans via the Web.
According to Celent, recent studies show the Internet plays a role in approximately 50 percent of all health insurance sales. By 2011, that percentage is estimated to grow to more than 90 percent.
"As the purchase of medical plans online grow, so will the number of online agencies promising cheap insurance rates. Health insurance is not like buying a book online," says Larry Hurwitz, benefit consultant/owner of BenefitPackages.com Insurance Agency. "The Internet is an excellent starting point for information gathering, but online shoppers should speak with a knowledgeable, licensed agent to review their specific needs before making a purchase."
Many traditional agents who only represent one insurance company are selling benefit plans that will pay according to a set schedule, said Hurwitz. For example, a particular insurance plan may pay $300 per day for a hospital stay, when the average hospital stay is actually more than $40,000. Consumers may be unaware that this can leave them holding the bag for the remainder of the bill.
Online agencies such as BenefitPackages.com provide personalized customer service and convenient access to several quality options offered by insurance companies including Blue Shield of California and Blue Cross of California.
Hurwitz suggests that online shoppers take the following steps:
- Work with licensed agents who represent several carriers.
- Know what kind of deal you are getting by speaking with a knowledgeable benefit consultant/agent.
- Ask if the purchase is a "discount plan" or "health insurance policy" -- the two are not the same.
- Ask about maternity coverage, office visits (how many) and prescription drug coverage.
- Be sure you select a plan that is supported with access to a large network of hospitals or doctors.
- Do not cancel your current plan until your new plan has been approved at the premium that you feel comfortable with.
BenefitPackages.com has been serving Californians for 20 years and is known as one of the most prominent agencies in the state. For more information on benefitpackages.com or how to select a health insurance plan online, please visit: the Web site or call 1-800-356-3615.
# # #