Boulder, CO (PRWEB) October 27, 2007
Every 7 minutes a pedestrian is either injured or killed in a traffic accident. Fifty percent of these injuries occurring between 6 p.m. and 12 a.m.* The issue is night visibility and with shorter days, this is the most dangerous time of the year for pedestrians.
Vedante™ (pronounced veh-dahn-tay) is a company committed to saving lives and reducing injuries from pedestrian-vehicle and bicycle-vehicle accidents. The mission is to increase visibility, and therefore nighttime safety through education, awareness campaigns and the development of "products that reflects well on you™"
"After spending almost 15 years in the emergency department taking care of individuals who unfortunately incurred accidents as pedestrians, on bicycles or out walking their dog simply because the driver couldn't see them, we found that a product like this can allow a driver to see you with enough reaction time to avoid the accident or signal you that they are coming and that will decrease the number of people who are injured," explains Dr. Paul Wiseman, Emergency Room Doctor.
What Vedante reflective product line will do:
1) Increase Public Awareness: Studies have shown that pedestrians, bicyclist and drivers are seldom aware of nighttime visibility issues.
2) Save Lives: By increasing awareness on the issue of nighttime visibility, it is estimated that the number of pedestrians injured or killed due to the inability to be seen by drivers will decrease by 12 percent in the first three years. Can be placed on bikes, strollers, scooters, wrist, arm or leg.
3) Make Safety Fashionable: Vedante™ brings visual safety to the fashion business and fashion to the safety business with products that are fashionable, tasteful and fun. By utilizing the highest quality 3M™ materials, Vedante™ has created people and pet products that are reflective up to 1,500 feet.
Products and Pricing:
- People products -- Pop Bands™ are fun, size adaptable and 360° reflective. Available in yellow or white (reflective up to 1,500 feet) as well as in orange, pink, red, blue and green (reflective up to 500 feet). Medium is the standard size with large available for larger people or for fitting over jackets and bulky clothing. Retail price is $11.98 - $12.98 for a package of two.
- Pet products -- Collars and Leashes are reflective up to 1500 feet whereas the majority of products currently on the market are reflective from 200-600 feet. Quality materials and manufacturing give Vedante's™ pet products a competitive edge over anything on the market in both reflectivity and durability. Pricing for pet products ranges from $11.98 - $52.98
CEO Barbara Kantor, founded Vedante in 2006. Barbara's inspiration came during an evening walk when she witnessed a pedestrian being struck by a car. The pedestrian, in a cross walk, was unaware of the driver's inability to see her. Deeply impacted by what she saw, Barbara delved into research on safety and visibility and then studied reflective products that were currently on the market. Barbara's research and her 25 year background in fashion design led to her development of Vedante™reflective safety products that are attractive and easy to use.
*FHWA-Statistic from US Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration: http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/facts/index.htm