North Charleston, S.C. (PRWEB) December 21, 2007
The season for filing taxes is right around the corner. JK Harris and Company, LLC, and the IRS have a few tips they would like to share.
One of the most important tips to remember is to gather your records, such as W-2s, 1099s, mortgage interest, broker statements and K-1s, in advance and keep them all together.
"During the month of January, you will be receiving statements that you will need when you file your returns. So put all the documents in one designated place," said Teresa Thomas, an Enrolled Agent for JK Harris, the nation's largest tax resolution firm.
And don't forget to save a copy of all the documents for your records.
Here are some other helpful tips to get a jump on tax season.
- Make sure you have the right forms. All necessary forms are available on http://www.irs.gov.
- Take your time when filling out your forms. Rushing through them could mean making mistakes.
- Double-check your math and Social Security Numbers. These are two of the most common errors found on returns. Checking and rechecking your math can reduce the chance of errors and speed up your refund.
- Get a fast refund. File early and you will receive your refund quicker. It will also come quicker if you choose direct deposit because that eliminates the time spent waiting for a check in the mail.
- Use E-file to file your tax returns. E-filing can catch math problems and provides you with confirmation that your return has been received. It also gives you a faster refund.
- Don't panic and don't rush. If you have a problem or question, http://www.irs.gov is available 24 hours a day.
"Things in our life come up unexpectedly, so you need to start now to avoid the year-end tax season rush," Thomas said. "You don't want to be pressured because the deadline is approaching and make costly mistakes on your return."
And if you don't want to deal with the stress and pressure of completing your own tax returns, you can always hire a tax professional to do them for you.
About JK Harris:
JK Harris & Company, LLC, (http://www.jkharris.com) based in North Charleston, S.C., is the nation's largest tax resolution firm and has served over 200,000 customers since its founding in 1997 by John K. Harris. JK Harris consultants are available to meet with consumers in over 425 locations nationwide by appointment only. The company also provides services for student loan debt, fee-based financial planning, tax return preparation and audit representation.
# # #