Oakville, Ontario (PRWEB) December 28, 2007
The 23rd Annual Courage Brothers' Polar Bear Dip welcomes the Thermos and Megaloid as a platinum sponsors.
"We are pleased that recognizable companies such as Campbell's Soup, Thermos, and Megaloid want to partner with us and save lives," says Todd Courage.
Five hundred dippers are expected to brave the icy waters of Lake Ontario again this year during the 23rd annual Courage Brothers' Polar Bear Dip for World Vision, an event that has become a Greater Toronto Area New Year's Day tradition. More than $350,000 has been raised to provide clean water in developing countries since the first dip in 1985.
The event, which began when local businessmen Todd and Trent Courage jumped into Lake Ontario in Burlington, is now Canada's largest polar bear dip for charity
"Our event has raised more than $350,000 in recent years for World Vision's life-saving water programs," says Trent Courage. "This year we will have 500 participants ready to dive into icy water to raise funds to construct water systems for four villages in Sudan."
The Courage brothers and friends hope to raise a minimum of $40,000 with the 2008 event. The proceeds will be used to drill boreholes, install wells, lay water pipes and repair existing wells in four villages in Sudan where World Vision operates community development projects.
The event's festival-like atmosphere, with live music, costumes and celebrities, drew more than 400 participants and 5,000 spectators to Coronation Park in Oakville on January 1, 2007.
"Access to clean drinking water should be a basic right for all children, whether they live in Sudan or in the GTA," said Dave Toycen, president of World Vision Canada. "We are so encouraged by the hundreds of GTA residents who brave Lake Ontario to make sure Sudanese children can exercise that right."
WHEN: New Year's Day, Tuesday January 1, 2008
WHERE: Coronation Park, Oakville, Ontario (Lakeshore Road between 3rd and 4th Line)
- 12:30 p.m. Registration begins
- Live band performs on main stage
- 1:00 p.m. Mayor of Oakville and Regional Chair of Halton welcome visitors
- Singing of O' Canada
- Costume contest on main stage
- 1:30 p.m. Pre-dip interview availability (Todd Courage, Trent Courage, Richard Chapman of World Vision)
- Please register at media table to ensure interview
2:00 p.m. Polar Bear Dip begins
- With the $25 registration fee, will receive a swag bag including a t-shirt, Campbell's Soup at Hand, Thermos travel mug and much more (total value over $100)
- With every $100 raised, will receive a ballot for a chance to win prizes
- Will be eligible to win prizes for the best individual costume and the best group costume
The Courage Brothers are pleased to recognize the following platinum level sponsors for the 2008 Polar Bear Dip:
- Campbell's Soup at Hand
For further information: Karen Homer, World Vision, Phone: 416.936.4159, Email: Karen_homer @ worldvision.ca or Peter Turkington, On Behalf of the Courage Brothers' Polar Bear Dip, Phone: 905.901.9218, Email: pturkington @ stratcommsolutions.ca or visit http://www.polarbeardip.ca/