West Richland, WA (PRWEB) January 7, 2008
Tri-Cities, WA (PRWEB) January 7, 2008 -- U2 fans around the world cast surprising votes in the 2007 U2 Fan Survey, naming guitarist The Edge the most indispensable member of U2 and voting Achtung Baby as their favorite U2 album in a landslide over The Joshua Tree.
A total of 4,159 fans from 78 different countries voted in the 111-question survey, which was sponsored by @U2 (http://www.atu2.com), the oldest independent U2 web site. U2 fans voted throughout November, 2007.
For the third straight year, the 1991 album Achtung Baby was a runaway winner for Favorite Album, outpacing 1987's The Joshua Tree by a whopping 45% to 24%.
"Not even the Joshua Tree's re-release on its 20th anniversary last year could topple Achtung Baby," said @U2 founder and editor Matt McGee. "With wins in three consecutive years, it's clear that Achtung Baby is the favorite album of U2 fans worldwide.."
In a series of four questions, U2 fans were asked if U2 should continue if one member left the band. The Edge was the fans' choice as the most indispensable member of U2, with only 4.9% of fans saying U2 should continue if he were to quit. By comparison, 5.8% of U2 fans think U2 should go on if Bono were to leave the band.
"It was really close between The Edge and Bono, but in the end Edge was the guy most fans said U2 can't go on without," McGee said.
Other results from the 2007 U2 Fan Survey:
- About 11% of U2 fans either disagree with Bono's extracurricular efforts, or ignore what he does away from the band.
- Almost 32% of U2 fans surveyed say Bono did "too much preaching" during the Vertigo Tour in 2005-06. Only 2% said they "would've enjoyed more preaching."
- When asked who they would vote for if all four band members were running for the highest office in the fans' home countries, almost 62% said they would vote for Bono.
- 35% say the 1985 Live Aid concert is U2's "defining moment," while 11% say that moment has yet to happen.
- Drummer Larry Mullen, Jr., was voted the band member most likely to win on the reality show Survivor by 42% of U2 fans; 43% said The Edge would be victorious on the quiz show Jeopardy.
- A whopping 87% of fans say Edge is the best musician in U2. Larry finished second with 5.5% of the vote.
- U2 fans named Coldplay, The Beatles, and Bruce Springsteen as their favorite musical artists aside from U2.
"With more than 75 countries represented, and more than 4,100 fans voting, we feel the survey is statistically representative of U2's online fans as a whole," McGee said. "The survey gives a great overview of what U2's fans think about things both serious and lighthearted. There's some great information in here for both casual and serious U2 fans."
Complete results of the 2005 U2 Fan Survey are available now on @U2: 2007 U2 Fan Survey
Launched in 1995, @U2 is the web's oldest independent U2 site. With a staff of more than two dozen U2 fans worldwide, @U2 produces original, daily content including news articles, interviews, podcasts, reviews, live event coverage, commentaries, and humor.
In December, 2007, Entertainment Weekly included @U2 on its list of the Top 25 Essential Fan Sites for music, movies, and TV. @U2 was the highest music fan site on the list. In 2003, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum asked @U2 to co-host a "U2 Fan Celebration" on the museum grounds in Cleveland. In 2004, @U2 was voted one of the Top 5 "Best Unofficial Sites" at the Digital Music Awards.
Matt McGee, Founder and Editor