We are following through on our continuing commitment to offer enhanced functionality, value and the highest quality products in the industry.
San Francisco, CA (PRWEB) January 15, 2008
FirmTek, LLC, the world's leading developer of Serial ATA solutions for Apple Macintosh and PC computers, is again pushing the price/performance envelope with the introduction of their new feature rich, external SeriTek/5PM enclosure. This new product houses up to 5 hot-swappable hard drives, each with transfer rates as high as 3 gigabits per second, delivering potential aggregate hard drive performance beyond 220 megabytes per second with a single data cable. This new enclosure design is built from the ground up to support today's demanding media-rich applications.
MacBook Pro users can expand their external data storage capacity to 10TB using two SeriTek/5PM enclosures, ten 1TB hard drives and the SeriTek/2SM2-E ExpressCard/34 adapter. Desktop computers can utilize a single 4-port SATA PM host adapter and four SeriTek/5PM enclosures to expand their storage capacity to up to 20TB using 1TB hard drives. The SeriTek/5PM combines advanced 5-Bay Port Multiplier design with the power of hot swap to provide virtually unlimited, high performance, external data storage capacity.
"We are raising the bar again with this storage solution by coupling Serial ATA Port Multiplier technology with best-in-class features including a unique temperature management system featuring two ultra-quite fans that have three user-selectable speeds, a fault LED and mutable temperature and fan failure alarms, 3.0Gbps transfer rate, a true hot swappable backplane design with no internal cabling, easy access front power switch, and a very small footprint," said Chi Kim Stanford, Vice President of Business Development. "We are following through on our continuing commitment to offer enhanced functionality, value and the highest quality products in the industry."
The SeriTek/5PM's exclusive Heat Management System ensures hard drives are kept cool and reliable while keeping noise to a minimum. This is accomplished by utilizing whisper quiet fans and special warning indicators. Unlike other enclosures, the SeriTek/5PM allows the user to adjust fan speeds to match their particular working environment. In the unlikely event a fan fails or temperatures become too extreme, fan or temperature LEDs will light and a "mute-able" audible alert will warn the user. The SeriTek/5PM's sturdy anodized aluminum case gives it a look that's as professional as its advanced features. It is compatible with virtually every external SATA PM compatible host adapter on the market and supports data transfer rates of up to 300MBytes/sec or 3.0Gbits/sec per drive. It easily supports the most demanding applications like uncompressed high-definition digital video creation & editing, computer animation, and digital photography.
SeriTek/5PM Key Features and Benefits
- Supports up to 5TB with five 1TB hard drives installed in a single SeriTek/5PM enclosure. Supports up to 20TB with four enclosures and twenty 1TB SATA hard drives connected to a single 4-port SATA PM host adapter.
- Attractive anodized extruded aluminum design with a professional appearance with maximum rigidity and heat dissipation
- SATA II compliant; auto-negotiation between the latest 3Gb/s and legacy 1.5Gb/s Serial ATA drives
- Built-in Port Multiplier supports up to five 3.5" SATA harddisk drives via one external data cable to host controlle
Note: SeriTek/5PM requires a SATA host controller that supports Port Multiplication, such as the SeriTek/2SE2-E (for systems with PCIe slots), SeriTek/2SE4 (for systems with PCI-X slots), or SeriTek/2SM2-E (for notebooks with ExpressCard/34 slots)
- Supports most SATA PM compatible host adapters, operating systems, and software-based RAID or JBOD configurations
- Features eSATA external connector
- Front Power switching for easy access: Press and hold to power off
- Enclosure Power Status LED: Power and Activity LEDs for each hard drive
- Built-in server-class power supply for maximum reliability
- Heat Management System: Two ultra-quiet fans with individual fan/temperature status, fault LEDs and mutable alarms
- User-selectable fans speed settings: LO/MED/HIGH
- Hot-swappable, plug-and-play flexibility in switching drives
- Hot-swap drive trays are interchangeable with FirmTek's SeriTek/2eEN4, SeriTek/2EN2, SeriTek/1EN2 enclosure
- Direct backplane, connectors, and provided shielded cables are designed to minimize electrostatic discharge and electromagnetic emissions, providing the most secure environment for your data
- Platform and Operating system independent; compatible with all Macintosh and PC computers running Mac OS X, Windows and Linux
- Designed as a native Serial ATA solution; no internal data cable, no Parallel ATA/USB/FireWire to Serial ATA bridge chips that might impact performance and reliability
- Easy to set up: Only 3 steps to integrate each hard drive
- Easy to transport: Compact and portable
- Drive bays/trays lock for maximum physical security and to prevent accidental removal during operation
- Features Kensington Security Slot
- Includes one fully-shielded external eSATA cable
- Ideal for multimedia-intensive applications: high-definition audio/video capture and editing, photography, graphics manipulation and high-end digital applications.
Pricing and Availability
FirmTek's SeriTek/5PM SATA PM enclosure is available now for the estimated retail price of USD$539.95 (P/N SATA-5PM - http://www.firmtek.com/seritek/seritek-5PM). Specially priced complete bundles with host adapters and hard drives are also available. For more information or to purchase FirmTek products, please email sales @ firmtek.com or visit FirmTek's website at http://www.firmtek.com.
Headquartered in Silicon Valley and founded in 1998 by former Apple engineers, FirmTek is the leading hardware and firmware research and development company focusing on Serial ATA storage technologies. A member of the Serial ATA International Organization (SATA-IO), the company takes pride in developing the most reliable and compatible high performance enhancement solutions, offered through FirmTek's OEM partners and worldwide distribution channels. For information FirmTek's products and operations, visit FirmTek's website at http://www.firmtek.com or email info @ firmtek.com.
Chi Kim Stanford
FirmTek, UltraTek, AV- Tek, SeriTek names and logotypes are trademarks of FirmTek, LLC. Apple, Macintosh, Power Macintosh, Mac OS 8.X, OS 9.X, OS X, and the Mac logo are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Incorporated. Windows is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation.