Orlando, FL (PRWEB) January 18, 2008
Open to the public -- January 18 - 21, 2008
For school field trips only -- January 22-25, 2008
Video Games Live Concert at Hard Rock Live -- January 24, 2008
The Orlando Science Center (OSC) and presenting sponsor Full Sail Real World Education are working with multiple partners to host the third annual Otronicon event January 18-25, 2008. Not solely an educational symposium nor a series of video game tournaments, Otronicon is an assemblage of all three and much more.
More than 35,000 people have attended the event over the past two years to experience how interactive entertainment, digital media and simulation are changing the way we live, learn, work and play. The first four days of Otronicon, January 18-21, will be open to the public. The final four days will be available for school field trips with a digital media focus, including an appearance by Dr. James "Butch" Rosser and his "Top Gun 4 Kids" presentation. Additional event sponsors include Blue Orb, DeVry University, Digital Media Alliance Florida and Eidson Insurance.
From 10 a.m. to midnight on January 18-21, guests of all ages, from hardcore gamers to the merely curious, will get to experience presentations of their favorite games in extreme settings. For example, rock out to Guitar Hero or Rock Band on an actual concert stage, participate in a Dance Dance Revolution dance-offs against an Orlando Magic Dancer or play Halo 3 on the giant screen of the Dr. Phillips CineDome.
After checking out the hottest games on the coolest formats, guests can explore firsthand how video game technology is being used to train the military and others with cutting edge real-world simulators. They can also go behind the scenes with innovative game design workshops designed by Full Sail and learn about career opportunities in your own backyard.
Another opportunity to take the experience to the next level is on January 24 at Hard Rock Live. See the music of your favorite video games brought to life during Video Games Live presented in association with Otronicon. New this year, Video Games Live is an international phenomenon that presents video game music as interpreted by a full orchestra, video effects and a spectacular light show. Winners of Otronicon's Guitar Hero competition will "perform" as the opening act. Get tickets from http://www.videogameslive.com and the Hard Rock Café box office.
Otronicon v. 3 provides a tremendous range of experiences, including:
- Play on multiple gaming stations, including Playstation 3 and Xbox 360. Play some of today's most in-demand games, plus networked multiplayer formats and more.
- See how video games can be both virtual and physical in the Wii Sports Arena. Get your hands on one of the most in-demand game technologies around.
- Check out PC gaming with World of Warcraft using Switchblade, software that brings a fully configured game controller experience to PC gaming, from Blue Orb -- a local designer!
- Discover how games are made and learn to make your own. Full Sail Real World Education offers workshops that will unlock the art and science behind game design.
- Get your hands on cutting edge simulators used for military, commercial and industrial training. Learn how videogame technology is being used to train soldiers, pilots, drivers, medical professionals and more.
- Compete in daily tournaments including Halo 3 on the giant 8-story Dr. Phillips CineDome screen. Players will be matched against each other during rounds of some of the hottest games, including Halo 3, Guitar Hero, Rock Band and Super Smash Melee. Check http://www.otronicon.org for competition schedules.
- Kick it old school with classic arcade games like Pac-Man and Donkey Kong. Stroll down memory lane with a display of nostalgic video games.
- Experience ARTronica -- a digital art exhibition and competition featuring talent from around the country.
- Go on an adventure through the mechanical world with Robots: The Interactive Exhibition. During Otronicon, visitors can also see how robots can better our lives today and tomorrow.
- Meet Dr. Butch Rosser, the videogame surgeon, and learn about "Games 4 Good." Explore the educational power of off-the-shelf videogames during a show that's been described as a spelling bee meets the X-Games at a Jay-Z concert. For school groups on January 25 only.
Visit http://www.otronicon.org for complete schedules and event info. Daily admission to Otronicon will be $14.95 for adults and $9.95 for kids (under 12). OSC members receive free admission. Ticket holders for Titanic - The Experience also get admission to Otronicon on event dates. For more information on Full Sail, please visit http://www.fullsail.com. For more information on Video Games Live or show tickets, please visit http://www.videogameslive.com.
# # #