Los Angeles, CA (PRWEB) January 28, 2008
You find yourself alone, again, on Valentine's Day. So you turn to Plan B, your faithful, furry canine companion. If this story sounds familiar you're not alone. Over 15 million* single people own dogs in this country and it's a good bet that most of them have curled up with their dog on at least one Valentine's day.
Today, human and hound can share everything from a Valentine's Day meal for two, to spa and pampering products and even matching clothes.
"People view their dogs as extensions of their personalities," says Kevin Fisher, co-owner of happytails Canine Spa Line. "If the owner is into sports, they'll have a sporty dog. If the owner is into fashion, the dog will have a wardrobe. With someone around who likes all the same things as you do, why look any further? You've found you perfect Valentine."
Some dog owners are taking the trend even further as the differences between humans and canines disappear. "People are looking for ways not only to bond with their dog, but to humanize them," Fisher said. "Just look at Dogster.com which is basically the Facebook for dogs. Dogs can send messages to other dogs, invite them to be pup pals and send virtual gifts."
So according to almost 3 million* Americans who actually buy Valentine's gifts for their dogs apparently it is perfectly acceptable to date your dog this Valentine's Day.
Here are a few things that you can share with your special furball this Valentine's Day:
- If a movie on the couch is your plan for Valentine's Day forget the popcorn! Sammy Snacks Treats are created especially for owners to enjoy with their dog. 434.984.5941. http://www.sammysnacks.com/dogbones.asp
- Feeling a little dry? bowWOW Butter Balm is an indulgent shea butter treatment for relieving dry cracked noses and paws. This blissful balm will also moisturize your dry lips, elbows, cuticles and heels (and it makes a great massage cream should you be in the mood) 866-HAPPY-20. http://www.happytailsspa.com
- Maybe you can't share clothes with your dog, but you can match. Check out the hip fashions from Ruff Ruff & Meow. http://www.ruffruffandmeow.com
- If you want to take a hike on Valentine's day, now you and Fido can sip from the same Water Bottle. One bottle, two separate water supplies. Keeps you and your pet properly hydrated on those long hikes! http://www.coolpooch.com
- Is your dog's bad breath and gas becoming a little overwhelming? Dog Smog Remedy to the rescue. This all natural breath freshener and digestive solution is sugar-free and delicious to both hounds and humans. 866-HAPPY-20. http://www.happytailsspa.com
- The classic yoga pose, downward facing dog, has taken on a whole new meaning. Why not spend Valentine's Day getting even closer to your innerdog with some at home Yoga (or Doga). Check out "Doga: Yoga for Dogs" at http://www.amazon.com
- If you're really feeling frisky, why not share your bed with Fido this Valentine's Day? According to Sealy, the mattress company, 67% of US pet owners regularly sleep with their dog or cat.
- You and your little loved one can be matching fashionistas in co-ordinating newsboy caps and scarves from Barking Baby. Leopard fur, menswear plaids, and bold florals are just a few of the prints available. http://www.barkingbaby.com or 310-614-9368.
- Okay, maybe this isn't your first choice in movies, but in every successful relationship there is compromise. On movie night why not also pop in the Movie for Dogs. Your dog will love it. http://www.themoviefordogs.com
- So a night out on the town is in store for you this Valentine's Day? Put on your heels, your little black dress and spritz on your dog's Shimmering Mist. It can be sprayed onto your hair, décolletage or any other body part. This subtle glitter spray contains natural silk proteins that moisturize and restructure the coat (or hair), leaving it silky, smooth and glittery. 866-HAPPY-20. http://www.happytailsspa.com
*According to the 2007/08 APPMA National Pet Owners Survey