Costa Mesa, CA (PRWEB) February 12, 2008
Now, it may finally be safe to go back in the water.
Hot Tub Works, a leading retailer of spa and hot tub supplies, answers questions about the benefits of Ozone for spas.
- Spa ozone is the most powerful oxidizer and disinfectant that can be safely used in spas. It kills all known bacteria, viruses, yeasts and other nasties.
- Ozone offers an alternative to heavy doses of traditional chemicals such as bromine and chlorine and while it can't completely eliminate these chemicals, it can drastically reduce the required amounts.
- Ozone is a safe, proven technology. It leaves no chemical taste or smell and it's gentle on your equipment. In fact, the only by-product of Ozone is pure oxygen.
- Ozone eliminates chloramines, the smelly, irritating, toxic by-product of chlorine.
- Ozone oxidizes ("burns off") problem compounds often found in spas such as hydrogen sulfides, iron manganese and arsenic
- Ozone helps shock your spa to rid of oils and other organic compounds that combine to produce the dreaded Spa Scum Ring.
How does Ozone Work?
It's a little complicated but think of what happens when one's no-good-low-life drunk Uncle Edger even gets near that immutable force of nature, your highly volatile Aunt Edna. Her very presence is enough to knock all the energy right out of him until he just sinks into a useless pile of muck. Edna is the Ozone and Uncle Edger is the virus/bacteria/slimeball you need to get rid of. It's kind of like that.
Here's a more scientific explanation: Ozone is an unstable compound generated by the exposure of oxygen molecules to a high energy electrical discharge. Oxygen molecules 0² are broken into two oxygen atoms 0¹. Each orphaned oxygen atom searches out another 0² molecule and attaches to it becoming 0³ (Ozone). An oxidation reaction occurs when there is a collision between an ozone molecule and a molecule of an ozidizable substance (bacteria, fungi, yeast, viruses, etc.). The extra molecule of oxygen breaks off and oxidizes (bursts) the bad guys while the remaining oxygen molecule moves on. Regret asking?
What kind of Ozone should is recommended?
There are two kinds of ozone generators. One uses UV (Ultra Violet light energy) and the other uses CD (Corona Discharge electrical energy). UV light mimics sunlight. Unfortunately, UV lamps produce a low output. On the other hand, CD energy is more like lightning, It is highly concentrated, uses much less energy than UV, is safe and is perfect for producing ozone in spas. Therefore, hottubworks recommends and sells DEL CD OZONE only.
Is Ozone all that's needed to sanitize and keep spa water clean?
The quick answer is "no" but plenty of customary sanitizer and shock can be eliminated. If ozone is combined with a mineral sanitizer like Spa Frog or Nature 2, spa owners can use a fraction of the amounts of bromine/chlorine/biquinide. While not environmentally "perfect", this combination is the safest, most effective approach for a spa sanitary system that seeks to reduce the use of harsh chemicals. There are some manufacturers who say spa owners can get away with less but consider this: The EPA has not approved ANY spa sanitary system that does not include at least some amount of Chlorine, Bromine or Biquinide. For those concerned about cutting chemicals, the Spa Frog Floating System is highly recommended as the most effective mate for a new ozonator.
This article submitted by http://www.hottubworks.com The premier supplier of spa ozone equipment on-line.