Culver City, CA (PRWEB) February 20, 2008
Xap Corporation and its subsidiary Bridges Transitions recognized ten exceptional individuals who epitomize the thousands of counselors that help millions of students achieve success every year during the recent National School Counseling Week. Sponsored by the American School Counselor Association (ASCA), National School Counseling Week focuses public attention on the enormous impact that counselors make on students' social, personal, educational and career development.
The recognized counselors include:
- Ann Halcromb, Cresthill Middle School, CO: Going to great lengths to build awareness about career development throughout her school, Ms. Halcromb ensures that fellow staff members have access to Bridges' Choices Explorer lesson plans; she publishes School-to-Career articles in the school's community newsletter; and, she extends her reach into the home with activity packets for parents. However, the most impressive event organized by Ms. Halcromb is Career Day, where she engages students with over 25 speakers who introduce them to a variety of careers.
- Jennifer Smagin, Alfred E. Burr School, CT: Taking the initiative to create a counseling program for Hartford schools, Ms. Smagin is the only counselor to assist Alfred E. Burr's 500 students with individual planning and career exploration using Choices Explorer. Despite facing personal challenges, Ms. Smagin always has a smile on her face. In fact, each year she takes 30 of her inner city students on a camping trip, giving them the opportunity to experience the great outdoors.
- Marka Phillips, Handley Elementary School, TX: Going above and beyond the call of duty, Mrs. Phillips facilitates many programs at her school including a Girlfriends Group that teaches conflict resolution, and Kid's Connection by Rainbow Days which is a curriculum based support group. Mrs. Phillips also ensures that students in need do not go hungry through the weekend, and has stepped into role as the Food 4 Kid's site facilitator - a program run thru the North Texas Food Bank.
- Mary Bartlett, Carmel Middle School, NC: With contagious enthusiasm, Ms. Bartlett has organized an impressive career expo for all middle schools in her district, which involves active participation from the City of Charlotte. She has also encouraged all of the Career and Technical Education teachers in her school to take advantage of Choices Explorer, Choices Planner, Ability Profiler and Learning Style Inventory online programs.
- Karen Varney, Challenger Learning Center, FL: In spite of physical hardships, Ms. Varney always goes the extra mile to ensure that every deadline is met. Working within the confines of a unique schedule composed of mini semesters, Ms. Varney is responsible for changing each student's schedule eight times throughout the year, in addition to enrolling a new group of students and graduating students each month. Ms. Varney's students make meaningful plans for their future using Choices Planner and Choices CD Edition.
In addition, honorable mentions were given to five counselors:
- Alison Walsh - Walled Lake Elementary & Hickory Woods Elementary, Walled Lake School System, MI
- Dwight Francis - Blanche Ely High School, Broward Country, FL
- Laurie Davis - Columbus Municipal School District, MS
- Marie Bracciale, Ph.D. - Community Learning Center West & Storefront West, Volusia County, FL
- Shelly Thome - Glendale Union High School, AZ
"Working with over 15,000 schools and agencies, we see first hand the role of counselors and the valuable guidance they provide students each day," said J. Michael Thompson, Xap's CEO. "Hundreds of counselors were nominated - all with stories about how they make a difference in their community. We join in thanking all of them."
As part of Xap and Bridges' efforts to thank counselors, it is offering a month's guest access to a number of its products. For more information, visit http://www.bridges.com/nscw.
Xap Corporation (http://www.xap.com) is a future-focused solution company with a suite of products and services that facilitate a lifetime of transitions. Xap has helped transform the lives of over twenty million students in the past decade. Bridges Transitions (http://www.bridges.com), a Xap Corporation company, is the leader in online career exploration solutions used in over 15,000 schools and agencies in North America.