MetaGeek recognized that wireless spectrum analyzers have long been cost-prohibitive and somewhat complicated for widespread consumer and small business use
Nampa, Idaho (PRWEB) March 18, 2008
MetaGeek (http://www.metageek.net) today announced the general availability release of Chanalyzer 3.0, the latest edition of its flagship wireless spectrum visualization software, which comes bundled with the company's Wi-Spy v2.4x USB wireless spectrum analyzer. Together, Wi-Spy and Chanalyzer enable both business and home users to visualize, troubleshoot, and optimize their Wi-Fi (wireless fidelity) networks. Chanalyzer offers the unique ability to identify signatures of specific electronic devices that may be interfering with any 2.4 GHz wireless network signal, enabling improved installation of wireless devices and faster troubleshooting.
"MetaGeek recognized that wireless spectrum analyzers have long been cost-prohibitive and somewhat complicated for widespread consumer and small business use," said MetaGeek CTO Ryan Woodings. "To fill this void, our goal has always been to empower the masses - from IT pros, to tech geeks, to non-technical users - by providing them with a low-cost, highly effective solution to optimize their Wi-Fi networks on their own. This is particularly important today, as the 2.4GHz band becomes more crowded with electronic devices at home and work, increasing interference and disruption of wireless computer networks."
MetaGeek's Wi-Spy hardware, widely recognized as the smallest spectrum analyzers on the market (the size of your average thumb drive), can plug into any USB port and harness the processing power of your computer to monitor and collect data about your 2.4 GHz wireless network. Chanalyzer then turns that data into highly interactive charts and graphs, allowing users to actually "visualize" their wireless landscape. Utilizing the Chanalyzer toolset, users can then quickly identify and locate the devices that may be disrupting their wireless computer network signal by causing interference on the same 2.4 GHz band.
Chanalyzer offers three different views to help troubleshoot issues with Wi-Fi networks:
- Spectral View: Highlights bandwidth use over time with a scrolling "waterfall graph" that plots the selected time period against the frequency range, with each point color-coded by the signal's amplitude.
- Topographic View: A spectrum utilization map that shows the popularity of the spectrum by plotting the percentage of activity for each frequency and amplitude over a selected time period.
- Planar View: Shows current, average and maximum amplitudes - providing a real-time look at the current signal strength, which can also help to identify which channels are more heavily used and which channels are more open for uninterrupted use.
While many other spectrum analyzers dictate to the users what the problems are, the MetaGeek has designed the Wi-Spy with Chanalyzer solution to be more intuitive for users - helping them to help themselves. The enhancements in Chanlyzer 3.0 offer even more flexibility and customization, as well as improved collaboration and overall ease-of-use, including:
- Signature Identification: Whether it is a microwave, cordless phone, or a baby monitor, these devices all show up as unique shapes in your Wi-Fi spectrum, and can interfere with your network. A new "Signatures" sidebar makes it easy to match the shape appearing in your graph to the device signature (from MetaGeek's growing Signatures Library) - so you can identify the interference.
- Data Inspector: Shows frequency, amplitude, time, and other data of any point in any view - so you can drill down into specific instances of Wi-Fi interference with great detail by simply rolling over a view with your mouse.
- Time Controls: Allows users to select any arbitrary time length to be in view, offering greater clarity over more data - and making it easier to pick out interfering devices.
- Recordings Cropping: Now users can crop recordings visually, making it easier to isolate specific data or timeframes to analyze.
- Recordings Sharing: A recording can be attached to an email and sent to colleagues or friends for quick troubleshooting collaboration.
- Embedded Notes: Textual information can now be added to any recording by embedding user notes, which can be useful when collaborating with others during troubleshooting or creating more intelligent archives to improve a company's knowledge base. Double-clicking a note will actually jump to that point in time on its recording.
- Recordings Playback: Users have greater control over the speed of playback, fast forwarding or rewinding recordings up to 50x speed, as well as the ability to drag playback to any arbitrary point on a recording.
- Resize Views: Users have more control over screen real estate with the ability to resize the Chanalyzer charts and graphs - customized to their preference or needs. The sidebar tools can also be minimized to view data on a full screen.
Chanalyzer 3.0 runs on Microsoft Windows 2000, XP, or Vista with .Net 2.0 installed. Linux and Mac support are also available via third-party software. For more information and a list of these applications, visit http://www.metageek.net/products/third-party-apps.
Wi-Spy Technical Specifications
Wi-Spy 2.4x can scan the radio frequency range from 2.400 GHz to 2.4835 GHz (and 2.495 GHz for channels 12-14 in Europe and Japan), with a resolution of 328 KHz. It can detect signals in the amplitude range of -110 dBm to -6.5 dBm, with a resolution of 0.5 dBm, and has a sweep time of 165 milliseconds.
Pricing and Availability
Available today, Chanalyzer 3.0 comes bundled with MetaGeek's Wi-Spy 2.4x USB spectrum analyzer hardware, priced at $399. To purchase, visit https://store.metageek.net/. Current Wi-Spy 2.4x users can download the latest Chanalyzer 3.0 software for free at http://www.metageek.net/support/downloads.
Based in Idaho, MetaGeek is an innovator and leading provider of Wi-Fi (wireless fidelity) spectrum analyzer solutions. Its award-winning Wi-Spy USB hardware, widely recognized as the smallest in its class, comes bundled with MetaGeek's Chanalyzer software. Together, this solution allows users to visualize, troubleshoot, and optimize their wireless networks at home or work. By building advanced features into an affordable, mobile, and easy-to-use product, Wi-Spy with Chanalyzer is the ideal solution for any user, from corporate IT pros, to tech geeks, to non-technical consumers. For more, visit http://www.metageek.net.
Principal, Resound Marketing
(609) 279-0050 x102