(PRWEB) March 26, 2008
(PRWEB) Easter Saturday was the 5th annual BCA University Cheerleading Championships. Over a third of Britain's 150 universities now have having cheerleading sports programmes, and almost all were competing at Telford this weekend. This competition is unique in being the only such event solely for university based teams. This has now developed into one of the largest events on the cheer calendar. 98 teams from 47 universities entered.
Easter Sunday saw the BCA Midlands Classic regional competition, which also showed significant growth. 124 teams from 47 clubs entered, including some university teams who had signed up for both competitions. 1,800 entrants. BCA 'Classic' regionals are held across the UK with an equal opportunity ranges of divisions to suit teams of all ages and skills ability levels.
It was an incredible two days of athletic skills. Each routine was the culmination of countless hours of dedicated training and conditioning. Performing standards continue to rise as so many divisions are closely contested. Some were won by a single point out of a maximum of 300 from the judging panel. One required two stages of tie break in the scoring system to decide the champions.
Cheerleading is a competitive athletic discipline, one of Britain's fastest growing sports. A dynamic fitness activity involving cheers; chants; jumps; tumbling; dance partner stunts and pyramid building. The most rapidly growing sector of the sport is now in schools where it is increasingly seen as providing a popular fun fitness activity with almost no set up costs.
The British Cheerleading Association is a non profit organisation with a membership of over 400 clubs throughout the UK, founded in 1984. The sports excellent competing safety record was again upheld this weekend. 386 NCSSE coaches safety training courses were sat over the last month at venues around Britain.
Notes to Editors:
- For further information on the BCA University Championship see http://www.cheerleading.org.uk/events/unicheer08.htm
- For further information on the BCA Midlands Classic see http://www.cheerleading.org.uk/events/mclassic08.htm
- Photo from the competition see http://www.cheerleading.org.uk/press/03831.jpg: (Cambridge University Cougars) credit Squeeze Photography (2Mb)
- For further information about the BCA see http://www.cheerleading.org.uk
- BCA Diary of Events: http://www.cheerleading.org.uk/events/events08.htm