Elk Grove Village, IL (PRWEB) April 17, 2008
Ascender Corporation, a leading provider of advanced font products, today announced a compatibility solution for Mac OS X users looking for the Microsoft ClearType™ fonts that are included with Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac software products. Office 2008 for Mac includes 24 fonts that were first introduced in Windows™ Vista and Microsoft Office 2007.
Microsoft has authorized Ascender to distribute the Microsoft ClearType Font Collection directly to individuals, graphic designers and businesses. Mac users who do not have the Office 2008 for Mac software but require the fonts for compatibility purposes can download the fonts directly from Ascender Corp: http://www.ascendercorp.com/ctfonts.html
To ensure compatibility between Office suites, later this year Microsoft will release an update to Office 2004 for Mac with a free license for the Microsoft ClearType Font Collection. "While this will solve font compatibility issues for users of Office 2004, users of other applications such as Adobe Creative Suite or QuarkXPress who do not have Office will still require a valid license for these fonts" said Steve Kuhlman, Vice President of Ascender Corp. "The ClearType fonts appeal to designers looking for fresh, elegantly-designed fonts with extensive OpenType typographic features and pan-European language support" he added.
Office 2008 for Mac includes six new typeface families, each with regular, italic, bold and bold italic styles:
- Calibri™ is the new default sans serif font in Microsoft Office 2007 and Office 2008 for Mac. Calibri was designed by Luc(as) de Groot.
- Cambria™ is the new default serif font in Microsoft Office 2007 and Office 2008 for Mac. Cambria was designed by Jelle Bosma with Steve Matteson & Robin Nicholas.
- Candara™ is a lively sans serif design suitable for email, Web design and informal settings. Candara was designed by Gary Munch.
- Consolas™ is a monospaced font that is great for programmers setting code. Consolas was designed by Luc(as) de Groot.
- Constantia™ is a modulated wedge-serif design ideal for publishing both online and in print. Constantia was designed by John Hudson.
- Corbel™ is a sans serif with an uncluttered and clean appearance on screen. Corbel was designed by Jeremy Tankard.
These fonts were carefully specified and cooperatively designed under the direction of Microsoft's Advanced Reading Technologies team by leading type designers, consultants and font software engineers. They were designed to significantly improve the on-screen reading experience and contain extended multi-language support (including Latin, Greek and Cyrillic scripts), advanced OpenType typographic features and specialty character sets.
Individual fonts are priced at $35.00 and font families are $120.00 - each include a license to use the fonts on up to five personal computers. Also available are specially-priced sets with either the Calibri & Cambria families for $199.00 and the entire ClearType Font Collection for $299.00.
More information on the Microsoft ClearType Font Collection, including an 18 page guide to the development and use of the typefaces can be found here: http://www.ascendercorp.com/ctfonts.html
Ascender Corporation is a leading provider of advanced font products and innovative applications for mobile devices. Ascender's founders are font industry experts and have been involved in developing many of the most important and influential fonts used in computers and mobile devices. Ascender provides multilingual, custom font development and mobile phone applications for a wide range of customers including creative professionals, enterprises and hardware & software developers. Ascender also provides fonts for download to graphic designers through the http://www.AscenderFonts.com website and to consumers through the http://www.FontMarketplace.com website.
25 Northwest Point Blvd
Elk Grove Village, IL 60007
Phone: (847) 357 0730
Fax: (847) 357 0731