The surge in data breaches blamed on employees will only be contained through a corporate wide culture of security, where security awareness becomes as second-nature as being polite to customers
Walnut Creek, CA (PRWEB) May 14, 2008
Today, My Security Plan LLC (http://www.mysecurityplan.com) announced the launch of Mentor™, the first ever Security Awareness Management System designed specifically to enable organizations of all sizes to create a culture of security within the workplace.
A growing number of studies have found that employees and other insiders are responsible for the vast majority of data breaches and other security incidents, and a lack of a true culture of security is widely recognized as the key contributor to these security failures.
The most recent study from the non-profit Identity Theft Resource Center found that in the first quarter of 2008 there were 167 reported data breaches that exposed the personal information of more than 8 million Americans. Only around 13% of these breaches were as a result of outside hackers.
And a study by Javelin Research found that 62% of consumers would be more upset with a company that lost their information due to negligence than if that company lost their information as the result of theft.
Mentor is the first solution to give organizations desktop access to more than a dozen tools that will help create a round-the-clock security awareness and policy enforcement program, no matter how many employees or locations.
"The surge in data breaches blamed on employees will only be contained through a corporate wide culture of security, where security awareness becomes as second-nature as being polite to customers," said Neal O'Farrell, CEO of My Security Plan and creator of Mentor. "It may be hard for organizations to admit that their next data breach is probably already on their payroll. But with Mentor, employers now have a powerful opportunity to change that."
From a simple Mentor control panel, administrators have access to a complete suite of awareness management tools that will enable them to:
- Create a global security awareness and policy enforcement program from one single console, often in less than a day.
- Automate the process of ensuring that all employees have confirmed acceptance of security policies, and track which employees have not.
- Pre-program security and policy awareness tips to be emailed to different employee groups on a monthly, weekly, or even daily basis.
- Instantly create and broadcast security alerts, announcements, news, and policy changes; to all employees or just to select groups.
- Teach employees about best security practices with more than a dozen online tutorials covering all the critical security issues, and automatically track which employees have taken which tutorials.
- Create a separate security orientation program for new employees and for partners.
- Make it easy for employees to report security incidents or concerns.
- Test employee awareness with targeted spam and phishing emails.
- Instantly generate comprehensive reports on all your security awareness activities, including which employees, groups, or divisions have participated and what the results were.
"A genuine commitment to employee security awareness is key to combating the growing number of security incidents," said Michael Levin, former Deputy Director of the National Cyber Security Division at the Department of Homeland Security and a Board Member of the Center for Information Security Awareness. "Solutions like Mentor would clearly enhance the way organizations manage security awareness and deal with the insider threat."
Not only will Mentor help reduce the number of security incidents and data breaches resulting from employee error, it could also reduce the cost of a breach, according to Mr. O'Farrell "A demonstrable commitment to comprehensive employee security awareness and creating a true culture of security will go a long way to providing legal and brand protection in the event of an insider related data breach."
For more information on Mentor, visit http://www.mysecurityplan.com/mentor.htm.
To view an example of the Employee Security Awareness Center, visit http://yourcompany.securitypanel.net/
Pricing and Availability
Mentor is competitively priced to appeal to most budgets and is available as a fully outsourced and fully managed awareness program and as a customer-owned solution hosted internally by the customer or externally by My Security Plan. Pricing is based on a per-seat or per-month basis and a fully hosted self-service edition begins at $495 per month.
About My Security Plan:
My Security Plan was founded in 2005 by security veteran Neal O'Farrell to develop realistic solutions to the biggest data security threat facing today's organization - its own employees. The company's flagship solution is Mentor, the Gold Standard in employee security awareness and the first Security Awareness Management System to help organizations of all sizes create a true "culture of security." My Security Plan is based in the San Francisco East Bay city of Walnut Creek, America's first Cyber Secure City. Visit us at http://www.mysecurityplan.com.
For more information on the Identity Theft Resource Center (ITRC) study, visit