Genie's momentum in the specialized ILS market is continually growing. Current Inmagic DB/Text customers will benefit greatly from Genie's integrated library automation capabilities and ease-of-use and implementation.
Woburn, Mass. (PRWEB) June 16, 2008
Inmagic, Inc. today announced the release of Inmagic® Genie 3.1® the company's Web-based integrated library system (ILS) on DB/Text® is a specialized database optimized for text retrieval that lets users build networked and standalone textbases to manage information. DB/Text is used by thousands of organizations worldwide. Previously Genie was offered with a SQL backend database to support the needs of large libraries and information rich organizations. With the introduction of this newest upgrade Genie becomes a cost effective solution to smaller organizations looking to leverage their investments in Inmagic DB/Text products.
"Over 300 organizations around the world have already made Inmagic Genie their integrated library system of choice," says Phil Green, Chief Technology Officer of Inmagic. "This newest Genie upgrade makes a big difference to our customers looking to extend the reach of their special libraries and collections with library automation, workflow, and other ILS functionality. Plus, DB/Text customers looking to upgrade to full ILS functionality without needing to migrate their text bases to SQL will benefit from Genie's advanced library functionality, integrated capabilities, and ease of implementation."
Genie 3.1 meets the changing needs of today's information center and extends DB/Text applications with advanced ILS functionality including:
- Effective access and management of both traditional and non-traditional library materials, and unparalleled flexibility for searching, reporting, and configuration to meet the specific needs of each library.
- Minimal IT support. Genie is built as an open system, with an XML-based API and the ability to export data at any time in a variety of formats, including XML. Users can share records with other libraries in MARC format.
- Full, configurable librarian's "dashboard" that delivers up-to-date views of critical library items, such as overdue loans, overdue serial issues, routed serials, and active reserves.
- "My OPAC" functionality that lets end users be more self-sufficient. They can log into the OPAC to view their open loans, overdues, reserves, routed serials, and borrower information, instead of calling or e-mailing information professionals with these straightforward questions.
- Simple MARC record acquisition by providing direct integration with BookWhere™ (the popular Z39.50 client), so library staff can more easily find, download, and import MARC cataloging records.
"Genie's librarian's dashboard and other automation tools let information center staff maximize the time they spend using their professional expertise on behalf of end users, versus handling administrative tasks like serial check-in and labeling," says Kathy Bryce MCLIP, President of Inmagic's long-time business partner in the specialized library applications, Andornot Consulting, Inc. "Genie's momentum in the specialized ILS market is continually growing. Current Inmagic DB/Text customers will benefit greatly from Genie's integrated library automation capabilities and ease-of-use and implementation."
Genie 3.1 for DB/Text can also serve as a logical first step toward socializing special library applications. Customers who purchase Genie 3.1 will, subsequently, be able to easily migrate their OPAC to Inmagic® Presto and take advantage of Presto's rich content management, search, discovery, and social knowledge management capabilities to create a robust Social Library as part of a larger Social Knowledge Network strategy.
Genie 3.1 on DB/Text will be available for purchase by Inmagic customers in August 2008 and can be purchased directly through Inmagic or one of its global network of partners. Special promotional pricing is also available to qualified buyers, to make this upgrade affordable for all customers.
For more information about Inmagic's Genie for DB/Text, please visit http://www.Inmagic.com. Certified Inmagic resellers and implementation partners can be found at http://www.inmagic.com/partners/directory.html.
Since 1983, Inmagic has helped companies rapidly capture, organize, share, manage, and exploit their collective wisdom. Over 5,000 companies in 100 countries use Inmagic's Presto, Genie, and DB/Text to forge social knowledge networks that connect their people and information to gain unprecedented insight into customers, markets, competitors, research, intellectual property, and more. Find out how much your company really knows. Visit Inmagic at http://www.Inmagic.com.
The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.
For more information, press only:
Theresa Murray, Gregory FCA, 610.642.8253, theresa @ gregoryfca.com
Mike Cassettari, Inmagic, Inc., 781.287.6225, mcassetteri @ inmagic.com
Press room: http://www.inmagic.com/news/press_room/press_releases.html
RSS feed: http://inmagicinc.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default
Web site: http://www.inmagic.com/index.html
Company fact sheet: http://www.inmagic.com/company/Inmagic-At-A-Glance.pdf
Executive bios: http://www.inmagic.com/company/mgmt.html