Tarrytown, NY (PRWEB) July 1, 2008
Open-Xchange Inc., the leading provider of open source groupware, today announced a preview to the new version of Open-Xchange Server Edition, which facilitates effective teamwork and enables document sharing anywhere, anytime, with any device.
Open-Xchange offers email, calendar, contacts, tasks and document sharing to provide companies with all the tools needed to facilitate communication and efficient teamwork. Customers can improve communication and teamwork with simple, intuitive tools and intelligent features, such as smart links between calendar appointments, task lists, contacts, documents, bookmarks and knowledge articles.
Unique features of Open-Xchange Server Edition include:
- AJAX-based user interface, which enables easy management of emails, contacts, tasks and document sharing without prior training.
- Support for latest Enterprise Linux distributions -- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 and SUSE Linux Enterprise Linux 10 -- delivers guaranteed stability for long-term enterprise use.
- "Mashup" capabilities powered by UWA (Netvibes Universal Widget API) enable easy integration of web applications, such as RSS feeds, podcasts, video channels, Salesforce.com, and SAP Business One, so that the Open-Xchange software serves as the user's central information portal.
- Plug-in architecture for the graphical user interface (GUI) enables smooth integration of Instant Messaging tools, support for text messages and fax to help unify communications and reduce the need for managing multiple address books.
- Customization of the user interface (GUI) allows enterprise customers to adapt the look and feel of Open-Xchange to different themes and their corporate design.
- Fully-modular architecture enables easy integration into existing IT infrastructures (e.g. mail servers), which simplifies implementation and does not require migration of email data.
- OSGi framework support enables the addition and removal of third-party applications, such as spam and virus protection with zero downtime of Open-Xchange, which is key for use in large enterprises as it ensures 24/7 availability of the system.
"Today, we're making available to users and IT professionals a free preview of the upcoming release of Open-Xchange Server Edition, which is the only remaining open and independent collaboration platform that can scale to millions of users," said Juergen Geck, CTO of Open-Xchange. "We welcome participation by the open source community and are fully committed to open standards and enabling industry partners and community members to extend this Java- and OSGi-based communication platform far beyond traditional groupware functionality."
Open-Xchange Server Edition, the successor of Open-Xchange Server 5, is expected to be released in Q3, 2008. As of today, Open-Xchange Server is installed by more than 3,500 companies and organizations worldwide.
Leading hosting providers, led by Network Solutions (U. S.), 1&1 Internet (Germany), JMF (Japan), OVH (France), and Hostpoint (Switzerland), provide millions of users worldwide with hosted business-class email, personal information management (PIM), and full groupware solutions built on Open-Xchange.
Software packages of Open-Xchange Server Edition are available for free download and use at http://www.open-xchange.com/OXSE.
About Open-Xchange Inc.:
Open-Xchange Inc. is the innovator of scalable and integrated open source email and collaboration solutions for enterprises, academic institutions, and government authorities. Open-Xchange Hosting Edition enables web-hosting companies to provide an easy-to-use and feature-rich application delivered as Software as a Service (SaaS). Internet service providers (ISPs), telcos and hosting providers, led by 1&1 Internet, deliver advanced email and groupware features through Open-Xchange Hosting Edition to millions of users. Open-Xchange Inc. is a privately-held company headquartered in Tarrytown, NY, with research, development, and operations in Olpe and Nuremberg, Germany. For more information, please visit http://www.open-xchange.com.
# # #