This was such a great group of nominees, it must have been difficult to choose the winner
New York, NY (PRWEB) July 13, 2008
The winners of the 2007 Strand Magazine Critics Award are Laura Lippman for best novel (What the Dead Know) and Marcus Sakey for best first mystery novel (The Blade Itself). The winners were announced at an invitation only cocktail party in Manhattan, by bestselling author Jonathan Santlofer.
Recognizing excellence in the field of mystery fiction, the Critics Award was judged by a select group of book reviewers from the nation's top daily newspapers, as well as by Andrew F. Gulli, Managing Editor of The Strand Magazine. With Larry Gandle of The Tampa Tribune serving as The Strand Critics Award chairman, this year's judges included Patrick Anderson of The Washington Post, Dick Lochte of the LA Times, Oline H. Cogdill of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, David Montgomery of The Philadelphia Inquirer, Hallie Ephron of The Boston Globe, and Sarah Weinman of The Baltimore Sun.
- Down River by John Hart (Thomas Dunne Books/Minotaur)
- The Shotgun Rule by Charlie Huston (Ballantine Books)
- The Strangler by William Landay (Delacorte Press)
- The Watchman by Robert Crais (Simon and Schuster)
- What the Dead Know by Laura Lippman (William Morrow)
Best First Novel
- The Blade Itself by Marcus Sakey (St. Martin's Minotaur)
- In the Woods by Tana French (Viking)
- The Mark by Jason Pinter (Mira Books)
- Missing Witness by Gordon Campbell (William Morrow)
- When One Man Dies by Dave White (Crown Publishing)
"This was such a great group of nominees, it must have been difficult to choose the winner," said Frank Simon, Associate Publisher of The Strand. "Laura and Marcus were worthy winners, in the past few years Laura has produced a fantastic body of work and Marcus is a new talent who I have no doubt in the future will be nominated for the best mystery novel award."
The winners and most of the nominees were in attendance at the ceremony, as well as publishers, journalists, editors, writers, agents, and book reviewers from major media outlets.
Nest year, the panel of judges will led by Otto Penzler and will feature critics from The Washington Post, the LA Times, The Associated Press, NPR, Time magazine, Publishers Weekly and The New York Sun. For more information, please contact Christine Jones at 248 569 3702 or cjones @strandmag.com.
P.O. BOX 1418 • BIRMINGHAM, MICHIGAN • 48012-1418
PHONE: 1 800 300 6652 (US) • FAX: 248 874 1046