We value our relationship with the City of Torrance and are proud that this property donation will enhance the Madrona Marsh and permanently preserve this important open space for our community partners in the South Bay to enjoy for years to come
Torrance, CA (PRWEB) July 17, 2008
At a ceremony on Saturday, July 19, 2008, beginning at 10:00 a.m. Chevron Corporation will gift and transfer a deed of property to the City of Torrance for a parcel of land adjacent to the Madrona Marsh, located at the northeast corner of Sepulveda Boulevard and Madrona Avenue in Torrance. Numerous local dignitaries and community leaders will attend as this significant donation will bring complete ownership of the Madrona Marsh property to the City and residents of Torrance. To help celebrate this event, the City of Torrance and Chevron invite the public to the ceremony to formally receive the property deed, which will permanently expand and enhance the Madrona Marsh Preserve. Lunch will be provided free of charge to all that attend the ceremony.
"We appreciate Chevron's significant contribution to the community. In giving this final piece of Madrona Marsh to the City, this attests to the improvement we can make for the entire community through a cooperative relationship with our businesses and community partners such as the Friends of the Madrona Marsh," said Torrance Mayor Frank Scotto.
The property, which was a former Chevron Service Station, is the final piece to be added to the Madrona Marsh Preserve, the last remaining vernal marsh in Los Angeles County. In the late 1950's thru 1970's, the land was owned by Standard Oil (now Chevron) but it has been vacant for several years.
"We value our relationship with the City of Torrance and are proud that this property donation will enhance the Madrona Marsh and permanently preserve this important open space for our community partners in the South Bay to enjoy for years to come," said Rod Spackman, Manager Policy, Government and Public Affairs for Chevron.
Guests will be shuttled to the property site from the Madrona Marsh Nature Center (3201 Plaza Del Amo) starting at 9:30 a.m. After the event, attendees may gather at the Nature Center for an Open House and lunch.
The Madrona Marsh Preserve is the last remaining vernal marsh in Los Angeles County. The preserve is a valuable habitat for birds, reptiles and small mammals and several native plant species unique to the region.
The California Audubon Society has used the area since 1967 in their annual bird census and El Camino College uses the site as a valuable resource for botany, zoology and geography classes.
Chevron is one of the world's largest integrated energy companies headquartered in San Ramon, California and conducting business in more than 100 countries. Chevron is engaged in every aspect of the oil and natural gas industry, including exploration and production, manufacturing, marketing and transportation, chemicals manufacturing and sales, geothermal, and power generation. Chevron is also a global leader in alternative fuels research investing in renewable fuels and advanced technologies.
Built in 1911, the Chevron El Segundo Refinery is a key component of California's energy landscape whose main product is transportation fuels including gasoline, jet and diesel fuel. The refinery supplies over 20 percent of gasoline to motorists in California and 40 percent of jet fuel to Los Angeles International Airport (LAX).