Bellevue, WA (PRWEB) July 30, 2008
A new version of a free, open source software application from Likewise Software enables administrators to remotely and uniformly manage all network computers, regardless of their operating systems, from a single point of control from virtually any computer.
Likewise® Software today announced Likewise Fall 08, which supports more than 118 platforms. Building on the success of the current version, this new edition includes features that further streamline the process of integrating Linux, Unix and Mac systems into a Microsoft Active Directory environment:
- Likewise Identity Services (LWIS) provides Active Directory Authentication services for all non-Windows systems. LWIS is a next generation Active Directory authentication engine that runs on 118+ non-Windows platforms including Linux/Unix/Mac. It is the cornerstone of the Likewise architecture that provides a programmable, Windows distributed-systems platform on non-Windows systems and comes with a full implementation of the DCE/RPC framework with support for Kerberos, NTLM and SPNEGO security protocols.
- The Likewise Administrative Console (LAC) allows administrators to manage users, computers and access rights from a Linux, UNIX or Mac OS X-based machine. LAC is a graphical management console built on the .NET platform with a pluggable extension model. It currently ships with several extensions including an Active Directory editor, a users and groups manager, and an eventlog viewer.
LAC runs natively on any flavor of Linux that runs a graphical desktop including Fedora, RedHat, SuSe Linux Desktop and SuSe Linux Enterprise, Ubuntu Desktop and Ubuntu Server and all flavors of Mac OS X 10+ and Windows. It also includes a Plug-in Software Development Kit that allows third-party ISVs to write their own custom plug-ins.
- The Likewise event log daemon is a new event logging component that stores authentication and security events on a local embedded database engine. This enables IT staff to view and troubleshoot events on more than 118 supported platforms, in a common, unified format that integrates seamlessly in a heterogeneous environment. This full-fledged event log subsystem is an analogue of the Windows event log subsystem and leverages the LWIS architecture. Events are stored as structured data allowing for easier interpretation. The event log RPC supports local or remote access using secure, encrypted, protocols.
A list of all supported platforms is available at: http://www.likewisesoftware.com/products/likewise_enterprise/supported_platforms.php.
"Likewise Open continues to evolve into an extremely valuable tool thanks to the contributions of an engaged open source community," said Barry Crist, chief executive officer of Likewise Software. "Our latest version features a next generation authentication engine that makes the administration of mixed networks even easier by allowing IT to manage users, access rights and policies from any computer. We have seen tremendous growth in the number of users and supporters of Likewise Open as the agent is quickly becoming the de facto standard for secure authentication in mixed network environments."
Likewise Open Fall 08 will be available for download in August at http://www.likewisewoftware.com.
- Licensing - in a continuing endorsement of its open source strategy, Likewise Identity Services (LWIS) will be dual licensed as follows:
- under the Limited GPL 2.1 for client libraries and the GPL 2.1 for daemons
- Likewise will also ensure that OEMs, VARs and other entities can license LWIS under a proprietary license that gives them wide latitude and freedom to commingle LWIS with their IP without compromising their own IP
About Likewise® Software:
Likewise® Software provides identity management solutions designed to improve security and operational efficiencies and help achieve regulatory compliance in mixed network environments. Likewise Open allows large organizations to securely authenticate Linux, UNIX and Mac systems with a unified directory such as Microsoft Active Directory. Likewise Enterprise includes all of the core authentication technology that comes with Likewise Open, plus world-class migration, group policy, audit and reporting modules.
Likewise® Software, a leader in delivering authentication and audit solutions for mixed networks, is a Bellevue, WA-based software company funded by leading venture capital firms Ignition Partners, Intel Capital, and Trinity Ventures. Likewise has experienced management and engineering teams in place and is led by senior executives from leading technology companies such as Microsoft, F5 Networks, EMC and Mercury. For more information, visit http://www.likewisesoftware.com.