Detroit, MI (PRWEB) July 30, 2008
An edgy, HEMI-powered, award-winning roadster from Chrysler's 2007 Mopar SEMA exhibit will be up for bidding at the August 14-16 Russo and Steele Auction in Monterey, California.
The SR 392 Roadster, featured widely in 2008 issues of both Hot Rod and Street Rodder magazines, has won numerous prestigious awards. Most recently it was hand-selected by the widow of the late Boyd Coddington for a Boyd Coddington's Pro's Pick Award at the Good Guys Nationals in Columbus, Ohio.
It also won a Chip Foose Design Excellence Award at the 2008 Grand National Roadster Show. "This hot rod is truly trend-setting. It's design elements will be mirrored in hot rods and show vehicles for years to come," Foose said.
For nearly two years, Chrysler's Mark Allen and Ralph Gilles planned to build the SR 392 Roadster as a SEMA stunner with Michael Chetcuti of Livonia, Mich.-based auto supplier, Quality Metalcraft (QMC). Allen is chief designer, Jeep/Dodge Truck Studios - Chrysler LLC and Gilles is Vice President of Jeep/Truck & CFM Design - Chrysler LLC. Gilles and Allen are members of Chrysler's Mopar Underground SEMA design team, a group of in-house automotive enthusiasts who donate their time to SEMA project vehicles.
Allen, Chetcuti and Gilles saw a challenge in proving that the 6.4-liter HEMI crate engine could apply to a vehicle other than traditional muscle cars or modified upfits. The team's idea was to redefine the classic hot rod with a more functional urban and industrial attitude to create a distinctly Detroit roadster.
Allen said, ''It was important to convey the car's theme as an homage to Detroit - the cool Detroit with its unique artistic community, music and gritty vibe. We used durable materials and let the mechanicals show to reflect the industrial backbone of the city. We wrapped it all up in a high-gloss black-and-chrome wrapper to evoke Detroit's cool attitude.''
''The core design elements of this roadster speak to the grit and industrial edge of our city,'' said Chetcuti. ''Things like the mezzanine flooring detail and Eames-inspired seating - these take an industrial cue but are by no means 'rat-rod.' It is a refined and organized design throughout.''
Awards for the SR 392:
- Mothers Choice Award - Excellence in Automotive Design (SEMA, 2007)
- Hot Wheels Designer's Choice Award (SEMA, 2007)
- Chip Foose Design Excellence Award (Grand National Roadster Show, 2008)
- AMBR Outstanding Class Award (Grand National Roadster Show, 2008)
- America's Most Beautiful Roadster (Grand National Roadster Show, 2008)
- Altered T-Roadster Award - 1st Place (Detroit Autorama, 2008)
- Street Rodder Magazine: Driven Award (Detroit Autorama, 2008)
- International Show Car Association: Outstanding Engineered Award
(Detroit Autorama, 2008)
- Boyd Coddington's Pro's Pick Award (Good Guys Nationals, Columbus, OH, 2008)
- Detroit Auto Scene - December 31, 2007 & January 7, 2008
- Mopar Collector's Guide - February, 2008
- Hot Rod - April, 2008
- Street Rodder - May, 2008
- Street Rodder - June, 2008
- SEMA Show - Las Vegas, NV - October, 2007
- Grand National Roadster Show - Sacramento, CA - January, 2008
- Autorama - Detroit, MI - March, 2008
- LA Roadster Show - Pomona, CA - June, 2008