Derby, CT (PRWEB) July 31, 2008
Planetree Inc. will be celebrating 30 years of patient-centered care and the people who defined it at its annual conference in Chicago this year with healthcare practitioners, academics, patient advocates, hospital staff and administrators, and architects committed to learning best practices for patient-centered care. The patient-centered model focuses on service excellence and providing meaningful opportunities for patients and families to be actively involved in their care.
In addition to providing expertise and resources to healthcare leaders, Planetree also provides consumers with information on its website, http://www.planetree.org, including a list of Planetree hospitals by state along with a list of questions for patients to ask when choosing a hospital.
On the first day of the conference, October 19, Planetree-affiliated hospitals and conference host sites Delnor Community Hospital, Midwest Medical Center and Swedish Covenant Hospital will showcase their facilities giving site tours in order for attendees to witness first-hand how Planetree concepts have been fully integrated into every area. The following day, the second edition of Putting Patients First by Planetree President Susan B. Frampton and President and CEO of Griffin Health Services Corporation Patrick A. Charmel will be hot-off-the-press and available to participants.
The four-day event will feature renowned keynote speakers, including;
- Ronan Tynan, best known as one of The Irish Tenors, will inspire the crowd to live life to the fullest. If anyone has done so it is this acclaimed singer who is also a medical doctor and has overcome a lower limb disability and subsequent lower leg amputations.
- Best-selling author Mitch Albom whose nine books include Tuesdays with Morrie, The Five People You Meet in Heaven and For One More Day will speak about appreciating the people and moments we have right now.
- Robert M. Wachter, MD, professor and associate chairman of the Department of Medicine at the University of California, San Francisco, will address the critical issue of prevention of internal bleeding and medical mistakes.
- Physical therapist and author, Amanda Gore, will reveal the secret skills of authentic leadership.
- A 20-year National Geographic photographer, Dewitt Jones, will showcase his extraordinary work to motivate attendees to live with passion and always aim to raise the bar.
- Lynne Lancaster and David Stillman, authors of When Generations Collide: Who They Are. Why They Clash, will shed light on recruiting, managing and retaining four generations in the workplace.
In addition to these speakers, the conference will feature more than 60 workshops providing a forum to discuss practical strategies for implementing and fostering a patient-centered care culture. Session topics include: measuring the impact of patient-centered care, how to engage physicians, making sense of care, quality and safety data, integrative therapies as well as spiritual care and healing by design.
On October 22, the conference finale will be the annual Spirit of Planetree Awards Dinner when the extraordinary achievements in patient-centered care of individuals and institutions will be honored.
The 2008 Planetree Annual Conference and 30th Anniversary celebration's lead sponsor is Nurture by Steelcase, a company that transforms healthcare environments to make lives better for patients, caregivers and partners in care. For more information, keynote biographies and a detailed schedule, call Planetree at 203-732-1365 or visit http://www.planetree.org.
Founded in 1978 by a San Francisco patient who endured a traumatic hospitalization, Planetree has been at the forefront of the effort to personalize, humanize and demystify the healthcare system for three decades. Today, the Planetree membership network is a global community of more than 140 acute care hospitals, continuing care facilities, and outpatient clinics, each at various phases of the journey to transform their healthcare by considering every aspect of the healthcare experience from the perspective of their patients, and reconnecting staff to their passion for caring for others. A complete list of Planetree hospitals is available at http://www.planetree.org.
Media contact: Danielle Swift, Planetree