DuPont products are used in almost all summer sports and especially for world-class athletes looking for top performance
Beijing, China and Wilmington, DE (Vocus) August 7, 2008
As the world’s best athletes prepare for this week’s opening events in Beijing, DuPont innovations in materials science will be there with them, playing a critical role in delivering maximum performance.
The quest for lighter, stronger and safer sports equipment has provided added benefits to world-class and recreational athletes – as well as a market opportunity for a number of key DuPont products.
“DuPont products are used in almost all summer sports and especially for world-class athletes looking for top performance,” said Brian Foy, product design and development manager DuPont Advanced Fiber Systems. “DuPont™ Kevlar®, for instance, is a popular choice for both equipment manufacturers and consumers. The same properties and performance attributes that have proven so effective in industrial and life-protection applications also appeal to athletes, outdoors enthusiasts and anyone else looking for better performance from their gear and apparel. The same can be said for all the other DuPont innovations so valuable to our business customers and now to consumers as well.”
- Tennis and badminton racquets constructed with Kevlar® resist cracking and shattering. Racquet strings made with Kevlar® don’t stretch as much as conventional strings to deliver control and power, and break less frequently. Kevlar® also is incorporated to add vibration damping and shatter resistance to carbon fiber, the predominate reinforcement for lightweight ultra-rigid tennis rackets. Some tennis shoes use Kevlar® on the toe section of the upper to help resist abrasion. DuPont™ Delrin® is used for string guides and DuPont™ Zytel® for frame inserts.
- Baseball and softball bats made using Kevlar® have better vibration damping, a higher swing speed and a larger “sweet spot.” Gloves and catchers masks use Kevlar® for lighter weight.
- The hulls of kayaks and canoes made with Kevlar® are easier to carry and maneuver because they are lighter than those made from other materials, and their improved impact resistance makes them safer to use. Putting Kevlar® in paddles also increases stiffness, efficiency and impact tolerance.
- Field hockey players opt for reinforced sticks made of Kevlar® because they are lightweight and retain their shape better than fiberglass or wood. Goalie masks use Kevlar® for its lightweight impact resistance.
- For cycling, Kevlar® is used in helmets and tires. DuPont™ Krytox® lubricant is used for bicycle components for a smooth, fast ride. Severe performance requirements for bicycle workings such as derailleurs, brake handles, levers and wheels use durable engineering polymers DuPont™ Delrin®, Zytel®, Crastin® PBT or Rynite® PET. Cycling accessories use Delrin® in sprockets, Hytrel® for inner tubes, Crastin®, Delrin® and Zytel® for switch handles, speedometer components, lamp components and brake handles and Delrin® for bell components. The bike saddles use inserts of Delrin®, Hytrel®, Zytel® and seat supports with Delrin® and Zytel®. Wheels use Kevlar® and Zytel® and the hub uses Rynite®. The buckles and soles of cycling shoes are made with Delrin® and Zytel® and sunglass frames are made with Delrin®, Hytrel® and Zytel®. Bicycles use DuPont™ Imron® coatings for durability and gloss.
- Track shoes use a sole made of Zytel® and running shoes use Delrin® and Zytel® for straps, buckles and eyelets. Inserts are made with Hytrel® for shock absorption and energy recovery.
- Soccer shoes are made with Delrin® and Zytel® for the studs and Hytrel® and Zytel® in the sole.
DuPont is a science-based products and services company. Founded in 1802, DuPont puts science to work by creating sustainable solutions essential to a better, safer, healthier life for people everywhere. Operating in more than 70 countries, DuPont offers a wide range of innovative products and services for markets including agriculture and food; building and construction; communications; and transportation.
The DuPont Oval Logo, DuPont™, The miracles of science™, Kevlar®, Delrin®, Zytel®, Krytox®, Rynite®, Hytrel® Surlyn®, Crastin®, Imron® are registered trademarks or trademarks of DuPont or its affiliates.