Scottsdale, Ariz. (PRWEB) August 25, 2008
Useful tips to keep your tires in top shape from Discount Tire , the world's largest independent tire and wheel retailer:
1. Don't Wait Until It's Too Late -- make it a habit to check your tire pressure at least once per month and before every long trip. Under inflated tires cause excess heat build-up that can damage tires and lead to a failure.
2. Know Your Pressure Point -- the correct tire pressure is found on a sticker on the driver-side doorpost or in the owner's manual, not on the tire sidewall -- that's the maximum pressure for the tire.
3. Keep Your Cool -- to accurately measure your tire pressure, check tires when they are cold. Wait at least three hours after driving.
4. Take Care Of Your Spare -- check your spare tire each month and keep it properly inflated so it's ready to go when you need it most.
5. Penny For Your Thoughts -- a penny can tell you if your tire is bald. Place a penny upside down into a tread groove.
If you can see all of Lincoln's head, it's time for a new tire.
6. Keep Yourself In Line -- be aware of potholes that can damage your tire and also jar your car's alignment.
7. Pick A Date And Rotate -- make sure you rotate your tires every 6,000 miles to promote uniform wear and longer tire life.
8. Don't Take A Spin Without A Cap -- driving without your tire valve cap allows air to slowly leak from the tire and leads to under inflation.
9. Don't Lose Your Balance -- it is important to have your tire balance checked periodically to avoid irregular wear.
10. Be A Weight-Watcher -- overloading your vehicle stresses your tires and can lead to damage.
Source: Discount Tire and America's Tire Company http://www.tires.com
# # #