Buffalo, NY (PRWEB) August 28, 2008
Jaeckle Fleischmann & Mugel, LLP and the University of Buffalo School of Architecture and Planning's Urban Design Project are pleased to announce the panelists for the Western New York Economic and Land Development Forum scheduled the morning of Thursday, October 2, 2008 at the Adam's Mark Hotel.
The opening breakfast will include a panel session entitled "Growth and Development-A Regional Perspective", facilitated by Robert Shibley, Director of The Urban Design Project and Professor of Architecture and Planning at the University of Buffalo. Well-known lecturer and writer Ronald L. Thomas, the former Executive Director of the Northeastern Illinois Planning Commission, is among the panelists for the opening session.
Thomas has played a major role in the development of national programs that have become mainstays of local planning. He most recently led the development of a comprehensive Smart-Growth oriented framework plan in partnership with the Chicago region's six counties and 270 municipalities, as well as countless civic and business leadership organizations. His "Common Ground" initiative produced the "Regional 2040 Framework Plan", which has become a national model for community-based regional planning, utilizing leading edge computer and communication technology to guide smarter, more sustainable growth. The plan was named "Plan of the Year" in 2006 by the American Planners Association.
Local representatives joining Mr. Thomas include Brian Reilly, Commissioner of Economic Development, Permit and Inspection Services for the City of Buffalo; William M. Murray, Esq., Deputy Commissioner of Planning & Environmental Compliance for the County of Erie; and Dennis M. Penman, Executive Vice President of M.J. Peterson Development Company.
The half-day forum is designed to bring together developers, real estate, municipal and economic development professionals to discuss recent trends and issues related to the state of development in Western New York. For more information or to register visit http://www.jaeckle.com.
Panelists for concurrent breakout sessions are as follows:
Session 1 A: Going Green-The Leed Certification Process:
- Timothy Vaeth, Development Project Manager, Ciminelli Development Company, Inc.
- Linda Thomas, LEED, AP, Ecology & Environment
- Roxanne Button, Architect, Architectural Resources
- Dennis Gorski, SVP Government Programs, HealthNow WNY, Inc.
Session 1 B: So You Want to Locate Your Business in WNY:
- Paul Ciminelli, President & CEO, Ciminelli Development Company, Inc.
- Thomas Kucharski, President & CEO, Buffalo Niagara Enterprises
- Brian Sampson, Acting Regional Director, Empire State Development
- Samuel Ferraro, Commissioner, Niagara County Economic Development
Session 2 A: NYS Brownfields Tax Credit Revisions & BOAs:
- Mark Reid, Consultant to City of Buffalo, Urban Design Strategies
- Elaine Miller, Division of Coastal Resources, NYS Department of State
- Daniel Riker, Consultant to City of Niagara Falls, TVGA Consultants
- Ken Swanekamp, Department of Environmental Planning, County of Erie
Session 2 B: Greenway Development Update:
- Robert Kresse, Chairman, Niagara River Greenway Commission
- Hon. Paul Dyster, Mayor, City of Niagara Falls
- David Colligan, Chairman, Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy
- Jordan Levy, Chairman, Erie Canal Harbor Corporation