UK (PRWEB) August 29, 2008
Swinton, the UK's leading high street motor insurance retailer sees a spike in motoring claims at the start of the new school year during the first two weeks of September.
The school run accounts for 20% of the cars on the road at peak times* and Swinton believes that this increased volume of traffic after the quieter summer months is responsible for a 10% increase in the amount of car insurance claims.
A significant number of claims made are due to accidents occurring inside school zones. According to the Department of Transport 41% of children are driven to school by their parents** and this volume of traffic means that the roads surrounding schools are becoming increasingly busy. Invariably the risk of an accident increases where there is a condensed amount of traffic in one spot and Swinton is warning drivers to be extra vigilant.
School gate crashes can be caused by motorists reversing out of school gates, rushing to drop the kids off or manoeuvring across a road in a school zone.
Steve Chelton, Insurer Development Manager at Swinton said: "Waving your child off at the school gate should not be done from behind the wheel of your car. School zones are dangerous areas and motorists must be vigilant at all times. The start of the new school year is particularly bad because of the increased volume of traffic. If you have to drive your child to school then we recommend parking up a fair distance away and walking to the school together before saying goodbye."
- According to the Department for Transport
** National Travel Survey 2006, Department for Transport
For further information please contact Adele Mandy, Daniel Kennedy or Lucy Sinclair at SKV PR on Tel: 0161 838 7770 or email: adele.mandy @ skvpr.co.uk
- With 470 branches nationwide Swinton is the largest high street insurance retailer
- Unlike many other companies in the financial services industry, Swinton is committed to keeping its branches open for business, and part of the community
- Swinton provides a one-stop-shop for the insurance and related needs of its clients, offering home, car, caravan, business, holiday, motorbike and even classic car insurance
- With a dedicated team of advisors on hand at every branch to search a panel of insurers to offer quality cover at competitive rates
- Swinton offers a 'clicks and bricks' approach to insurance - online prices with a high street presence.