is less subjective than comparing urine color and is also simple to use.
Bellevue, WA (PRWEB) September 4, 2008
ATAGO refractometers are world-renowned for their quality and precision. The celebrated company is the sole manufacturer to offer a new dip-type, digital refractometer, the PEN-Wrestling, for measuring the urine specific gravity (USG) of athletes in training. This instrument was developed to meet the national criteria in place to keep young wrestlers safe (proper weight management) while they are placed in a weight class.
In 2006, the National Federation of State High Schools Associations (NFHS) began mandating that all high school wrestlers be tested for proper hydration levels, as indicated by each wrestler's USG. The National Athletic Trainers' Association (NATA) recommends using a refractometer to measure USG in its Position Statement on Fluid Replacement for Athletes. The NATA states that using a refractometer "is less subjective than comparing urine color and is also simple to use." ATAGO's PEN-Wrestling allows coaches and assessors a quick, sanitary, and safe method to ensure that their students are properly hydrated.
According to Frank Young, General Manager of ATAGO U.S.A., Inc., the PEN-Wrestling hygienically reads and digitally displays urine specific gravity two seconds after pressing the START key. "The PEN-Wrestling was designed to meet the weight-management rules of the NFHS, as well as the requests of coaches, state associations and assessor offices around the country. There is no need to transfer sample with a dropper, or bring the sample close to the eyes or face. The PEN-Wrestling can be dipped into the sample, while the digital display eliminates the guesswork of traditional analog refractometers or test strips," Young said. "The goal of this instrument is to provide accuracy, to ensure safety, ease of use, and affordability."
The PEN-Wrestling is ATAGO's first dip-type refractometer, with plans to release models for different applications in the near future. This efficient, user-friendly design offers an abundance of features intended to enhance accuracy and convenience.
- Digital LCD display. Eliminates user interpretation and keeps samples away from the face.
- Ergonomically designed for easy, one-handed operation.
- Fast and easy measurements. Simply dip the prism head in the sample and press the START key OR press the START key and (within 10 seconds) dip the prism head in the sample
- Automatic Temperature Compensation (ATC). Eliminates the need for a temperature conversion chart.
- External Light Interference (ELI) technology allows measurements to be taken with confidence, even under bright lights.
- Minimum power consumption. One AAA battery lasts approximately 8,000 measurements.
The PEN-Wrestling, released August 21, 2008, is now readily available from Authorized ATAGO Distributors.