It doesn't matter whether they are leaving a legacy for the family or wanting to be tapped by New York publishers
Berkeley, CA (PRWEB) September 11, 2008
The first ever telesummit especially for memoir writers, hosted by the National Association of Memoir Writers (NAMW), is scheduled to take place October 23, 2008 and it is free to attend. In this day-long conference by phone, expert speakers will give participants the tools and knowledge they need to become published authors. "It doesn't matter whether they are leaving a legacy for the family or wanting to be tapped by New York publishers," says Linda Joy Myers, president and founder of NAMW. "All participants will benefit from the knowledge shared in this conference."
The day long workshop includes the following speakers and topics:
- Building Your Brand through Writing your Book by Sheri McConnell - Sheri will share insider secrets about the process of writing a book, the path to publishing, and how to attract publicity for your book.
- Injecting Emotion into a Memoir Plot by Martha Alderson - The reason most people enjoy memoirs is because reading about other people's lives arouses our emotions. An international plot consultant for writers, Martha will show in three easy steps how to develop emotion as you write your memoir.
- The Path to publishing - traditional vs. Self-publishing, and everything in between by Dan Poynter - Entering the world of publishing can seem daunting for someone who has been sitting at a computer for years alone, writing. There is so much to learn about--finding an agent, how the publishing world works, and how to makes one's way through the maze.
- How to Make Yourself Irresistible to any Agent or Editor by Michael Larsen and Elizabeth Pomada - Every writer needs to know about how the publishing process works, which includes learning about agents--what they do, how you can get their attention, and how they intersect with the publishing community.
- Voice and Theme in Your Memoir by Sheila Bender - How do writers approach writing meant to discover and share the shape of their experience? In this talk, Sheila will lead you in: exercises aimed at developing personal writing that achieves universal appeal; learning how to find the gold in your freewrites and first drafts; learning tools for shaping drafts from that gold; and thinking about shaping an entire collection of personal essays or a memoir.
"Writing a memoir requires endurance, dedication, and hours of introspection into your life journey. To stay the course and become a published author, you need skills, inspiration, and knowledge. There are so many paths to publishing," says Myers. "Even if you want to self-publish your work for a small audience, you need to know how and why you might make certain choices so your book can be attractive, professional, and enjoy a rich life once it makes its way into the book world. If you want to learn how to get your book into the book world and get noticed by professionals, this workshop is for you. Learning about plot and establishing a workable writing life are skills all writers need to know about and put into their tool kit."
The event is completely free and even if you can't attend, the NAMW is offering free audio files for those who sign up.
About the National Association of Memoir Writers
The National Association of Memoir Writers (NAMW) invites memoir writers from all over the world to connect, learn, and get inspired. The goal of our organization is to help memoir writers feel empowered with purpose and energy to begin and develop their life stories into a publishable memoir. For more information visit the Web site at National Association of Memoir Writers or call toll-free 1-877-ememoir.