Palmdale, CA (PRWEB) September 16, 2008
Hypersonic air vehicles now have off-the-shelf air data probes and sensors available. Engineers and avionics designers now have access to a suite of SpaceAge Control hypersonic-capable air data products:
- 4195-01 flush air data probes with multiple-hole pressure-transmitting ports
- 4228-01 angle of sideslip sensors with external balance
- 4376-01 angle of attack sensors with internal balance
- 4382-01 air temperature sensors
The products are constructed of nickel, Inconel, titanium, and stainless steel to meet the 1500+ degree F (816+ degree C) high-temperature, high-strength requirements of Mach 5+ flight. The flush air data probes are heated to support de-icing at initial launch speeds.
Components of the air data suite have been or will soon be in use on research, space exploration, and military programs to include:
- Mach 7 class scramjet-powered air vehicle
- Mach 4 class strike vehicle
- Next-generation moon exploration launch platform
The air data suite or its components are suitable for:
- Hypersonic military air vehicles
- Supersonic business jets
- Hypersonic engine sensors
- Hypersonic research vehicles
- Reusable space vehicles
"We were initially reluctant to enter the hypersonic air data probe market as it was perceived to be a small, niche market segment.", stated Tom Anderson III, CEO. "But, a customer was persuasive in getting us to join their hypersonic program. It is ironic that SpaceAge Control is now the market leader in this resurgent market which has ever-increasing importance to the future of aviation."
The initial angle of sideslip sensor product resulted in the development of an air data suite capable of sensing the entire range of air data parameters.
Established in 1968, SpaceAge Control is an ISO9001:2000/AS9100B-compliant company leading the air data and displacement sensing industries with stock and engineered-to-order products. Located in Palmdale, California USA near Edwards AFB, the Skunk Works, and Mojave-based Scaled Composites, SpaceAge Control's high-precision and durable products are used by over 200 companies spanning the globe including aircraft manufacturers, racing teams, vehicle manufacturers, and motion control-oriented OEMs.
- High-Resolution Image A (jpg) - http://spaceagecontrol.com/4195-01image.jpg
o Photo caption is "Rear view: Nickel-based 4195-01 flush air data probes suitable for supersonic and hypersonic airflows.".
- High-Resolution Image B (jpg) - http://spaceagecontrol.com/4195-01image02.jpg
o Photo caption is "Front view: Nickel-based 4195-01 flush air data probes suitable for supersonic and hypersonic airflows.".
- High-Resolution Image C (jpg) - http://spaceagecontrol.com/4376-01image.jpg
o Photo caption is "4376-01 angle of attack sensor with optimized mass and strength characteristics for Mach 5+ flight.".
- 4195-01 Flush Air Data Probe Envelope Drawing (pdf) - http://spaceagecontrol.com/4195REFONLY.pdf
- 4228-01 Angle of Attack Sensor Envelope Drawing (pdf) - http://spaceagecontrol.com/4228REFONLY.pdf
- 4376-01 Angle of Sideslip Sensor Envelope Drawing (pdf) - http://spaceagecontrol.com/4376REFONLY.pdf
- Hypersonic background information - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypersonic
- Tom Anderson, Operations
- SpaceAge Control, Inc.
- 38850 20th Street East
- Palmdale, CA 93550 USA
- 661-273-3000 Ext. 102, 661-273-4240 (fax)
- email @ spaceagecontrol.com