Moseley, Va. (PRWEB) September 24, 2008
Woolridge Road Church is hosting the 3rd Annual Wide Open Doors Conference on October 18-19, 2008 at 5130 Woolridge Road. The conference offers 25 workshops and two featured speakers. The program's content is for parents of disabled children, disabled people, professionals in disability related fields and church leaders. "We are expecting over 150 attendees during this two-day event," said Tammy Burns, conference organizer and Pastor of Children & Special Needs at Woolridge Road Church.
The two featured speakers are Nina Fuller, who is the founder of Living Proof Testimonies and S.M.I.L.E. on Down Syndrome on Saturday, October 18th. Patrick Henry Hughes, a student at University of Louisville, has been featured on ABC's Extreme Home Makeover show and many other national TV shows, is the speaker on Sunday, October 19th. Patrick has just released his first book, "I am Potential". http://www.iampotentialbook.com
The workshops include:
- Approaches to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Assistive Technology: Making the Most of it in Everyday Life
- How to Encourage Churches to Minister to Families with Disabilities
- Civil Rights & the ADA - Fostering Independence
- Making a Difference! Grassroots Advocacy 101
- Autism: A Brief Introduction
- I Think My Child Needs Some Assistive Technology, Now What?
- When We All Don't Live Happily Ever After - Dealing with Those in our Families Who Can't Deal with Disability
- ADHD: Assessment and Treatment Across Home and School
- Understanding Assessment Options for Students with Disabilities
- Keeping Your Child's Emotional Tank Full
- Making Good Ministry Decisions
- Proactive Strategies
- Special Education Process 101
- Transition Helpbook: Planning Tool You Can Use NOW
- Finding and Keeping Volunteers
- Seeing Clearly Through the F.O.G.
- Social Competence
- A Practical Approach to Safety in Disability Ministry
- Exploring Services for Individuals with disabilities in Your Community
- Developing Community and Friendships for Children with Disabilities
- Basic Signs Everyone Should Know
- Disability Outreach - How to Build a Community Focus
- Disability Etiquette & Resources for Independent Living
- Maximizing Potential through Music Therapy
All workshops are lead by noted experts, physicians and professionals from Virginia and other US states.
"This year's conference will feature more workshops and a broader range of topics," said Tammy Burns "we really looking forward to raising the level of knowledge and awareness in the Central Virginia area for everyone in the disability community. "
About Woolridge Road Church
Woolridge Road church is a Baptist affiliated church in Moseley Virginia near the Swift Creek Reservoir. Chris Bell is the Senior Pastor. The church has over 300 members and focuses on ministries for youth, children with special needs and missions. Services are Sundays at 9:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m and all are welcome. Childcare, Sunday School for children and a contemporary style of worship is featured. There is ample parking. http://www.woolridgeroad.org
Attachment: PDF conference brochure
Pastor of Children & Special Needs