Many social media sites take several months to see this kind of momentum in terms of content generation, so we see this as a strong validation of what we are doing and how we are doing it.
Austin, TX (PRWEB) September 26, 2008
AntStorm Corporation announced today that more than 2,500 trails have been created by registered users during the first two weeks of the company's public beta. AntStorm users share collections of their favorite links about a particular topic as "trails" on AntStorm and the major search engines. Groups of AntStorm users can also collaboratively find, recommend, annotate, and vote on the best links for a specific topic, exposing members of the group to great new information and resources on their favorite topics.
"We're very happy and a bit surprised by such a fast start," said David Wilson, president and co-founder of AntStorm. "Many social media sites take several months to see this kind of momentum in terms of content generation, so we see this as a strong validation of what we are doing and how we are doing it."
Wilson continued: "While we have a great deal of work ahead, we are excited about this milestone in our progress. We look forward to helping our users find information better and faster, while connecting with others who share their interests to interact and collaborate in innovative and rewarding ways."
Social bookmarking on AntStorm is significantly different than other bookmarking services because it's been designed with the goal of naturally producing the content for a human-powered search engine. This means that the process and user experience is designed to identify and annotate the very best links about any given topic - not to stockpile every link about that topic. AntStorm users can:
- Import browser bookmarks into the AntStorm site and access them anywhere anytime from any computer.
- Use a toolbar to access and add to their bookmarks while searching and browsing the Web.
- Add bookmarks to both AntStorm and Delicious with a single button click to benefit from both services.
- Use a Web drag-and-drop interface to organize and annotate the best bookmarks on their favorite topics.
- Connect with others who share their interests in specific topics.
- Collaboratively find, recommend, annotate, and vote on the best links for a specific topic via a novel user experience unlike any other on the Web today.
AntStorm Corporation is the first to converge social bookmarking and a human-powered search engine into a single, cohesive website, user experience and business model. In addition, AntStorm is an example of the growing trend toward social entrepreneurship, with the company distributing ten percent of its revenue to any of about 1.5 million charitable organizations chosen by the users of its website. AntStorm Corporation is a private company based in Austin, Texas.
*] AntStorm(tm) is a trademark of AntStorm Corporation. All other brand and product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.