Pittsburg, TX (PRWEB) September 26, 2008
The winners of the first annual Premier Book Awards have been determined. Awards were presented for book length fiction and non-fiction titles, in various categories with a 2007 or 2008 copyright, published in the English language and targeted for a North American market.
Premier Book Awards were established to recognize meritorious works by writers who self-published or had their books published by a small press or independent book publisher. It became an International contest when entries were submitted from the United States, Canada, and even as far away as Australia.
Knowing Things, a beautiful novel by Erica Boardman Thomas, Myrtle Beach, SC (PublishAmerica) walked away with the top prize of $500 as the Best Book of the Year.
The winners of the $100 first prize in the Fiction categories were:
- Sacrifice: Book One of the Last Forever by Kelly Komm, Edmonton, AB, Canada (Infinity Publishing) took top honors in the Fantasy category.
- Pike Place by Marilyn Howard Tschudi, Raleigh, NC (Quarrystone Publishing) was selected as the best General Fiction entry.
- Eboracum, The Village by Graham Clews, Westlock, AB, Canada (Trafford Publishing) took top honors in the category of Historical Fiction.
- Brookwater's Curse, Vol 2 by Steven Van Patten, Brooklyn, NY (Authorhouse) was judged the best Mystery/Thriller/Horror novel.
- Hermetica: Myths, Legends, Poems by Paul Kiritsis, Melbourne, Australia (iUniverse) captured the judges hearts in the Poetry category.
The winners of the $100 first prize in the Non-Fiction categories were:
- Kelly: A Father, A Son, An American Quest by Daniel J. Boyne, Cambridge, MA (Mystic Seaport) was chosen as the premier Biography.
- Birth Emergency Skills Training by Bonnie Gruenberg, Duncannon, PA (Birth Guru Publications) won first place in the Health Category.
- Reflections of a Khmer Soul by Navy Phim, Bellflower, CA (Wheatmark Book Publishing) received the top award in the Memoir/Autobiography category.
- (reflection of) An American Idiot by Ronald Koustas, Clifton, NJ (Xulon Press) won in the Religion/Spirituality category.
A complete list of winners and finalists is available at http://www.PremierBookAwards.com.
James Olson, CEO of Premier Book Awards, says of this years contest. "We were extremely pleased with the scope and quality of the entries by self published or small press authors. Obviously there are many talented writers who have chosen to avoid the hassle of acquiring an agent and then waiting months or years, hoping to be accepted by a major publishing house. Hopefully recognition by Premier Book Awards will provide talented writers with the credibility to reach a wider audience, providing the impetus to move forward and continue developing their talents."
Media: For more information concerning Premier Book Awards or to arrange an interview with James Olson, contact Jim directly via email at jim@PremierBookAwards.com.
234 Quitman Street
Pittsburg, TX 75686