Jeddah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (PRWEB) October 8, 2008
King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) today announced the founding members of the University's Board of Trustees. The twenty international members will assume their roles as the University's governing body at their first meeting which is scheduled to take place in April 2009. KAUST is a new world-class, graduate-level research institution currently under development in Saudi Arabia. It will open in September 2009.
The KAUST Board of Trustees is chaired by His Excellency Minister Ali Ibrahim Al-Naimi, Saudi Arabia's Minister of Petroleum and Mineral Resources, whom the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz Al Saud selected as KAUST's chief institutional architect.
Commenting today, Minister Al-Naimi said, "The announcement of the appointments of the founding members of the KAUST Board of Trustees is a significant milestone in the University's development. We have here some of the most accomplished leaders from global academia, science, finance, industry, and public life stepping forward to not only validate KAUST's mission, but to take responsibility for overseeing its affairs. Their leadership will ensure that the University will be a well-managed, independent, merit-based center of scientific excellence as well as an enabler for reconciliation in our region and indeed the world."
In accordance with the University's by-laws, the twenty member Board will be fully independent to exercise all powers granted to it. The Board will be responsible for approving rules regulating the academic, financial and administrative affairs of the University and for providing all support needed to enable the University's officers to manage the University. Members will meet at least three times a year to oversee the University's activities and monitor its progress and development.
Other statutory functions of the Board include the appointment of the University's officers, certain senior administrative officers, and Faculty and the oversight of its assets, including the University's campus and community real estate and facilities.
The founding members of KAUST's Board of Trustees include:
Members of KAUST Board of Trustees:
1. His Excellency Mr. Ali I. Al-Naimi, Chairman of the Board
2. HRH Prince Khaled bin Abdullah bin Abdulaziz
3. HRH Prince Abdulaziz bin Abdullah bin Abdulaziz
4. HRH Prince Mansour Bin Abdullah Bin Abdulaziz
5. Ahmad Muhammad Ali, President, Islamic Development Bank, Saudi Arabia
6. John Brennan, Chairman and CEO, Vanguard, USA
7. Khaled A. Al-Falih, Executive Vice President, Saudi Aramco
8. Andrew Gould, Chairman and CEO , Schlmberger
9. Rolf-Dieter Heuer, Director General designate, CERN, Switzerland
10. Muhammad Abdullatif Jamil, President, Abdullatif Jamil Group, Saudi Arabia
11. Lubna S. Olayan, Chief executive Officer, Olayan Financing Group, Saudi Arabia
12. Abdullah Al-Rabeeah, Chief Executive Officer, National Guard Health Services, Rector, king Saud University for Health Science, Saudi Arabia
13. Frank H. T. Rhodes, President Emeritus, Cornell University, USA
14. Mary Robinson, Former President of Ireland, President, Ethical Global Initiative
15. Choon Fong Shih, President Designate, KAUST
16. Khaled Al-Sultan, Rector, King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals, Saudi Arabia
17. Shirley M. Tilghman, President, Princeton University, USA
18. Tony Tan Keng Yam, Chairman, National Research Foundation, Singapore
19. Elias A. Zerhouni, Director, National Institutes of Health, USA
2o. Jie Zhang, President Shanghai University, China