Atlanta, GA (PRWEB) October 10, 2008
As the application deadline approaches, The Weather Channel today announced a panel of expert presenters for the 2008 Forecast Earth Summit. The Forecast Earth Summit is a weekend of environmental education and interaction with numerous environmental leaders, enthusiasts and scientists. Twenty high school "eco-ambassadors" will be selected through a nationwide essay contest designed to showcase their passion for helping the environment. The winning students will participate in the upcoming Forecast Earth Summit December 5-7, 2008 in Washington, D.C. Submissions are due October 19 at http://www.forecastearthsummit.org.
The twenty eco-ambassadors selected to attend the Forecast Earth Summit by The Weather Channel will hear from nationally recognized speakers and organizations and participate in engaging discussions and hands-on activities. Speakers include climatologist Dr. Heidi Cullen, anchor Natalie Allen, and correspondents Dr. Marcus Eriksen and Jarod Miller of Forecast Earth on The Weather Channel and musician and philanthropist Adam Gardner, among others.
An environmental issues panel discussion will connect the students to multiple leaders in the environmental arena. Panelists include representatives from the following organizations:
- U.S. Green Building Council - dedicated to sustainable building design and construction, the developers of the LEED building rating system recently launched a green schools effort.
- World Wildlife Fund - the global leader in wildlife conservation and preservation of animal habitats, WWF preserves wildlife diversity and abundance and the health of ecological systems.
- Renewable Choice Energy - a leading national provider of renewable energy and carbon offsets, the group offers solutions to help businesses and individuals reduce their environmental impact.
- Kimpton Group - a hotel group known for its eco-friendly boutique properties, Kimpton supports sustainability by using non-intrusive, high quality, eco-friendly products and services.
- National Environmental Education Foundation - NEEF advances environmental knowledge and action while supporting environmentally responsible behavior in the general public.
- U.S. Postal Service - a leading environmental steward, the award-winning USPS has the largest U.S. civilian alternative fuel vehicle fleet and uses environmentally friendly shipping processes.
- Reverb - a group working to green the music industry, Reverb has greened more than 650 concerts and 50 major tours including Counting Crows, Dave Matthews Band and Sheryl Crow.
In addition, the selected eco-ambassadors for 2008 will tour Capitol Hill and the well-known Sidwell School as well as take part in an endangered animal species presentation by Jarod Miller. Returning alumni will speak with Congressman Jim Moran of Virginia, environmental advocate and Vice Chairman of the Interior and Environment Appropriation Subcommittee. The weekend's agenda also includes organic meals, eco-friendly transportation and stays at an environmentally "green" hotel.
About Forecast Earth
A leader in the area of climate change and the environment, The Weather Channel airs Forecast Earth, an original weekly program where climate news meets green living. The one-hour program airs Saturday and Sunday at 5 p.m., 7 p.m., and 1 a.m. EST. The television show and its Web site enable viewers to become even more knowledgeable about environmental issues and what they can do to make a difference. A broadcast journalist for 23 years, Natalie Allen anchors and reports from the field. The show's climate expert, Dr. Heidi Cullen, has been with The Weather Channel since 2003 and has the key responsibility of adding explanation, depth and perspective to climate stories. For more information, visit http://www.weather.com/forecastearth.