to mobilize thousands of schools and millions of kids to tell the world that CHARACTER COUNTS!
Los Angeles, CA (PRWEB) October 17, 2008
More than five million children, in 56 countries, will gather with their teachers, parents and community members to celebrate the importance of character and help create a better world during National CHARACTER COUNTS! Week on October 19-25. Celebrations will include community parades, award events, assemblies, character contests and family events.
"Teaching youngsters about the importance and nature of character is the antidote to the disease of cynicism spurred by a continuous parade of misconduct," said Michael Josephson, founder of the CHARACTER COUNTS! Coalition, a partnership of more than 900 educational and youth-serving organizations committed to improving the ethical quality of America's young people through character education.
"It's rather extraordinary in this day and age," he added, "to mobilize thousands of schools and millions of kids to tell the world that CHARACTER COUNTS!"
Character…What Our World Needs
More Than Ever
In 2008 scandals revealing a deficiency in ethics and character have beset the nation:
- Mismanagement, recklessness, insatiable greed and possible fraud at Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, AIG and other financial institutions brought world economies to their knees
- Media baron Conrad Black was sentenced to prison for fraud.
- Bank of America, JPMorgan Chase & Co., Citigroup, and others participating in the accounting fraud that led to Enron's downfall were ordered to pay $7 billion.
- Former presidential candidate John Edwards, New York Governor Eliot Spitzer, and Detroit Mayor Kwame Fitzpatrick betrayed public trust and ruined their political careers with sex scandals.
- Senator Ted Stevens, Louisiana Congressman William Jefferson and Orange County, California Sheriff Michael Corona were indicted for corruption.
- Former NBA referee Tim Donaghy, former 100-meter world record-holder Tim Montgomery, and Olympic medalist Marion Jones were sentenced to prison for various criminal violations.
Bi-Partisan U.S. Senate Resolution Declared This Week
Over Five Million Children Celebrate CHARACTER COUNTS!
A bi-partisan resolution, introduced by Senators Chris Dodd (D-CT) and Pete Domenici (R-NM), established October 19-25 as the 15th National CHARACTER COUNTS! Week.
"This program is making a difference in New Mexico and across the country," said Senator Domenici. "I encourage more people to become involved with the CHARACTER COUNTS! program."
Senator Dodd stated, "Character education programs work. Schools across the country that have adopted strong character education programs report better student performance, fewer discipline problems, and increased student involvement within the community."
To find out what's happening in your area, please call Cindy Verity at 1-800-711-2670
About CHARACTER COUNTS!
The Josephson Institute of Ethics, a nonpartisan, nonsectarian, non-profit 501(c)(3) organization based in Los Angeles, CA., created and administers the CHARACTER COUNTS! Coalition. Character Counts! is the nation's most widely implemented approach to character education.
For more information, please visit http://www.charactercounts.org