It's very easy to visit a country on holiday and get carried away with the excitement of it all. Before you've had chance to finish your sangria you're signing on the dotted line of a contract you haven't read properly and committing thousands of pounds on a deposit for a property you've not even seen.
(PRWEB) October 24, 2008
Taylor Woodrow de España, the major UK house builder, has been building new homes in Spain for the last 50 years and has seen first hand how easy it is to make the biggest mistake of your life.
Victor Sagué, sales and marketing director said: "It's very easy to visit a country on holiday and get carried away with the excitement of it all. Before you've had chance to finish your sangria you're signing on the dotted line of a contract you haven't read properly and committing thousands of pounds on a deposit for a property you've not even seen."
"I don't know whether it's a case of too much sun or the fact that a life overseas seems so appealing but we've heard many stories like this of people who rush into making life changing decisions, like buying a home abroad, without thinking it through. Needless to say when they step off the plane back home reality hits, but more often than not it's too late to back out and they're left with a home they don't want or a lost deposit of thousands."
To help ensure you don't make the same mistakes, Victor has compiled some top tips to buying your dream home in the sun.
- Research - this goes without saying but worryingly there are people who buy a home without carrying out the necessary research. You need to decide on your motivation for buying a home in Spain - are you looking for a home to use for holidays and at weekends, to rent out or as a way to make money? Once you've made your decision you'll be in a better position to look for a property that fits the criteria and is in the right location.
- Location - make sure that you check out the local facilities in your preferred location. Are there shops and restaurants nearby, can you reach the beach easily and how far is the nearest airport or transport links. These are important questions that need to be asked. Taylor Woodrow builds homes in a number of desirable locations near to the beach, on championship golf courses and surrounded by stunning countryside - all close to a range of amenities and good transport links.
- Budget - it's important to decide on your budget from the outset and stick to it. Don't be encouraged to look at property that is outside your budget - you may end up falling in love with something that you simply can't afford. Bear in mind any costs for adding your own personal touches to the property as well as any legal and agents costs involved with the purchase. Remember that currency is subject to fluctuations and be prepared for this - if you have the option to fix the exchange rate with the agent or developer then do this.
- Legalities - the legal process associated with buying a home overseas can be complicated; especially if there's a language barrier. This is why it's essential to hire an independent local lawyer, preferably one who can speak English. If you buy a Taylor Woodrow home you will be assisted throughout the whole buying process by an experienced British team. Customers will receive greater reassurance through its partnership with the Safe Buying Experience, a company which independently assesses the quality of each property and provides a safe and secure process of buying a home in Spain.
- Be patient - remember that certain countries may not work at the same pace as the UK and this can be frustrating. If you're buying a home off plan then be aware that the development and its facilities may not be finished on time. Try and choose a developer who offers an efficient customer care service - anyone who buys a home from Taylor Woodrow will be assigned a customer liaison officer who will be on hand to offer advice and answer any questions before, during and after the sale has completed.
One of the most popular destinations to buy an overseas home is Spain as it offers an excellent year round climate, quick and cheap travel from the UK, as well as a modern infrastructure, excellent health care and schools. Taylor Woodrow de España currently has a range of apartments, penthouses and townhouses to choose from in the Costa del Sol, Costa Blanca and Mallorca, with prices starting from as little as £110,000*.
Taylor Woodrow España is a wholly owned subsidiary of Taylor Wimpey plc, a homebuilding company with operations in the UK, North America, Spain and Gibraltar. It aims to be the homebuilder of choice for customers, employees, shareholders and for the communities in which it operates.
On 3rd July 2007, Taylor Woodrow plc and George Wimpey Plc completed their merger to form Taylor Wimpey plc, the UK's largest homebuilder.
For further information please visit the company's website - http://www.taylorwoodrow.es
For further press information and photography, please contact:
Haslimann Taylor PR
Tel: 0121 355 3446