Washington, DC (PRWEB) December 3, 2008
The Intelligent Transportation Society of America (ITS America) announced the winners of the 2008 Best of ITS Awards. The awards were presented during a special ceremony of the ITS America Annual Meeting and Exposition held in conjunction with the 15th World Congress on Intelligent Transport Systems in New York.
Presented by ITS America, the Best of ITS Awards is the only program in the world that honors the most innovative, effective, and influential achievements in the Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) industry. This highly competitive program recognizes the organizations whose projects have demonstrated specific and measurable outcomes and exemplified innovation by establishing a "new dimension" of performance.
The winners were selected from among more than 40 entries by an expert panel of judges. The categories and winners are:
Best New Innovative Product or Service:
- Caltrans - Sensys Wireless Vehicle Detection System
- Nissan North America - Nissan Safety Shield 2007
- Visteon Corporation - The Visteon Light Vehicle Integrated Vehicle Based Safety System
- MTC and SAIC - San Francisco Bay Area 511
Best New Innovative Practices:
- New York City DOT - The Applied Solid-state Traffic Controller
- NAVTEQ - NAVTEQ/Missouri DOT Advanced Traveler Information Services Project
- BMW of North America - The Next Generation Telematics Protocol (NGTP)
- Delcan - Lake County Passage Project
- Mississippi DOT - Reconnecting Mississippi's Coastal Communities Through ITS
- Western Transportation Institute at Montana State University- Partnerships for Deploying Animal Vehicle Crash Mitigation Strategies
- Caltrans - Mobile Century: A Novel Approach to Traffic Data Collection from GPS-Equipped Mobile Phones
- Kentucky Transportation Cabinet - Safety Assistance for Freeway Emergencies Patrol
Outstanding ITS America State Chapter:
- ITS Minnesota
More information on the award programs and ITS America's 2008 Annual Meeting & Exposition and the 15th World Congress on ITS is available at http://www.itsa.org.
About the Intelligent Transportation Society of America
The Intelligent Transportation Society of America (ITS America) is the leading advocate for ITS development and deployment in the United States. ITS America was established in 1991 as a not-for-profit organization to foster the use of advanced technologies in surface transportation systems. Members include corporations, public interest groups, universities and research laboratories, and government agencies at all levels. ITS America works closely with the U.S. Department of Transportation in support of the National ITS Program and serves as an invaluable resource to its members in the areas of technology, domestic public policy, international relations, and business development. For more information, visit http://www.itsa.org.