The joy of Christmas can sometimes be quashed by the dread of facing airport crowds and hiked up prices if you're spending your holidays abroad. However, with a few tricks, you can turn this chore into a joy and pay half price on your plane tickets while you're at it. Read on to take advantage of some insider tips.
London, UK (PRWEB) December 12, 2008
Nadine Hallak, Travel Expert for Cheapflights.co.uk says, "The joy of Christmas can sometimes be quashed by the dread of facing airport crowds and hiked up prices if you're spending your holidays abroad. However, with a few tricks, you can turn this chore into a joy and pay half price on your plane tickets while you're at it. Read on to take advantage of some insider tips."
1. Travel at unsociable times - book early morning fares, late night departures or even flights on Christmas Day itself. With a spot of savvy scheduling, you can enjoy speedy security checks, empty departure lounges and deserted flights.
2. Avoid peak travel days - according to BAA, the weekend before Christmas was last year's busiest time to travel, so avoid lengthy queues and pricier fares by departing before or after December 19, 20 and 21 in 2008.
3. Fly direct - missed flight connections and delays at connecting airports can impact hugely on your travel time so opt for non-stop flights direct to your destination.
4. Explore other airports - the alternative airport gambit can really pay off if you research your route thoroughly. Flying from smaller, regional airports means lighter traffic, cheaper parking and shorter queues. Visit our Airport Guides section to find out more.
5. Arrange foreign currency in advance - bypass lengthy lines at the airport's Bureau de Change and take advantage of competitive exchange rates by buying your foreign currency online or on the high street before your departure date.
6. Check-in online - many airlines now encourage passengers to check-in online and print off your boarding pass from home, enabling you to sidestep the time-consuming tailback at the airport check-in desk completely.
7. Do some duty free Christmas shopping - large international airports offer a selection of shops that would encourage even Paris and Posh to indulge in a spot of Christmas spending, so browse everything from Dior to Dixons without having to brave the hectic high streets. For other entertainment ideas, visit our Airport Amusements tips page.
8. Plan your car parking ahead of time - airport spaces are sparse over Christmas so book yours ahead of time and avoid waiting in line on the day you depart.
9. Pack with care - pack alcoholic or toiletry themed presents in your suitcases to check-in, don't carry wrapped gifts in your hand luggage that you could be asked to unwrap and remember that Christmas crackers are not permitted in any luggage.
10. Allow plenty of time - BAA recommend that you arrive at least two hours before your flight is due to depart to allow for poor weather, congested public transport and heavy traffic. And if you're celebrating Christmas abroad this year, visit our Celebrating Christmas Abroad tips page for destination ideas full of festive fun.
Notes to Editors
Cheapflights Ltd. Cheapflights pioneered flight price search and comparison in 1996 and has been consistently profitable since launch. The Cheapflights flight price comparison model publishes over a million fares daily from hundreds of sources. This empowers price sensitive consumers to get an overview of flights prices, find the best deals and the companies that offer them. Once a deal is found, the Cheapflights user can click through to a price provider's site or in many cases telephone to the provider's call-centre. Last year over 1 million telephone leads were introduced to Cheapflights' advertisers' call centres.
In 2003 Cheapflights launched its successful US site http://www.cheapflights.com . It is estimated that last year circa £2.0 Billion sales were achieved by advertisers through deals published on our UK and US sites. In 2007 Cheapflights launched its Canadian site http://www.cheapflights.ca and its first non-English language site, http://www.cheapflug.de in Germany in autumn 2008.
With over 8 million visits globally recorded in January 2008, Cheapflights is a leader in flights deals information and continues to develop its unique and highly successful product.