Cambridge, MA (PRWEB) December 12, 2008
WAAV® today introduced the second generation AirBox® X2, the AirBox X2 Slide. The AirBox X2 Slide incorporates new features never before seen in a cellular router. Like the original AirBox X2, the new Slide routes traffic over multiple 3G cellular connections simultaneously. This gives users more bandwidth as well as multiple network redundancy.
Most cellular routers offer only one EVDO or HSPA connection, but the AirBox X2 Slide offers two. This is great for mobile applications where more bandwidth is needed. One such application is WiFi Internet for mass transit such as in a bus or train where many users will be online at the same time. The users can only see a single wireless network name, but behind the scenes the Internet traffic is balanced over the two cellular connections.
Some AirBox owners, like LimoLiner, are already taking advantage of this technology. LimoLiner, the Northeast's leading Business Class coach service, is using their AirBox X2 to provide business passengers with reliable, non-stop WiFi Internet access. Peter Pescatore, the company's CEO, praised the mobile broadband solution, "Our custom passenger liners feature an onboard attendant and WiFi as prime amenities. Until we installed the AirBox X2 dual modem mobile wireless system in all of our fleet we were experiencing disappointing performance from our two router zone set-up when multiple users logged on. The AirBox combined with the amplified antennae handles the heaviest loads by balancing between the twin signals to optimize bandwidth, resulting in satisfied and impressed passengers."
Recommended Applications for the AirBox X2 Slide:
- Mass Transit- Provide wireless Internet access to large numbers of users, remotely monitor in-vehicle cameras to increase on-board safety, and track vehicles in real-time via GPS.
- Television Broadcasting - Stream live high-quality video or transfer large files from any location over multiple cellular connections.
- Remote Video Surveillance - Deploy cameras in remote locations with no infrastructure costs to monitor utility site vandalism, traffic cameras, and construction site copper theft. Enable in-vehicle surveillance for police, ambulances, armored trucks, and prisoner transportation.
Key AirBox X2 Slide Features:
- Connect Many Devices and Users Simultaneously - Multiple devices and users can access a single network name with Internet traffic balanced over multiple 3G connections. Users don't need to manually change connections to another cellular router if a carrier drops or if there is not adequate bandwidth from a single connection.
- UDP Load Balancing - In addition to the regular load balancing that the AirBox X2 performs, an optional UDP load balancing is available for streaming video over two cellular uplinks. The UDP packets are split over both cellular connections; certain IP video encoders and decoders can then combine the two streams into one.As an example, two 500 Kbps uplinks can be "combined" to stream video at 1000 Kbps or 1 Mbps. Certain compatible file transfer software will allow users to transfer files at twice the speed as well.
- Remote Diagnostic & Management - Securely manage and change settings in the AirBox X2 Slide from any location.
- GPS-Enabled Fleet Management - Easily track multiple vehicles and map signal strength in real-time via Google Maps and Google Earth.
- Global Cellular Carrier Plans Available - Choose the best-suited cellular carrier based on geographical needs. Compatible with most cellular carriers worldwide.
In addition, the AirBox X2 Slide features a tough exterior, the ability for users to insert (or "slide in") their own modems while maintaining an external antenna connector for best signal strength, and a refined remote user interface. With the slide in feature, users can use the cellular router with various carrier networks worldwide. The AirBox X2 Slide is available in the Standard, Transit, and Broadcast Editions.
This latest innovation from WAAV builds on the success of its wildly popular AirBox X2 Integrated cellular router. Since its launch in 2007, major television studios, the federal government, video security surveillance firms, custom car installers, and mass transportation agencies have been using the AirBox X2 Integrated for the best remote and mobile connectivity.
The AirBox X2 Slide is available now on the WAAV online store. To learn more about how the AirBox X2 Slide can be used in your industry, please visit http://www.waav.com or call 888-GET-WAAV (888-438-9228) for assistance.
WAAV, Inc. is a leading provider of rugged cellular routers for the mass transit, government, video surveillance, and television broadcasting industries. WAAV specializes in creating reliable cellular equipment and networking systems for applications that demand high performance and durability.
One Canal Park
Cambridge, MA 02141