My first couple rounds of certificates are all going to friends who have been laid off in the last few weeks. I know they will appreciate both the certificates and a way to send holiday gifts to loved ones!
Arlington Heights, Ill. (PRWEB) December 18, 2008
Giving away three $10 gift certificates daily during the holidays to people any where in the country without paying a dime has been a unique and meaningful way to say, "Happy Holidays," "Thank You," and "We're Thinking of You," in difficult economic times. So says those who have participated in the Restaurant.com "Feed It Forward" giving initiative.
Restaurant.com recently passed the milestone of allowing people to give away more than 400,000, $10 gift certificates--for free--through its "Feed It Forward" Web site, http://www.Restaurant.com/FeedItForward. Stocked full with a total of $30 million in gift certificates valid for more than 5,000 restaurants nationwide, the site has empowered people to share the gift certificates along with goodwill, good fortune and good food during the holidays. Now, with seven days left to give away the remaining gift certificates, the company is reminding the nation that when it comes to giving-- it is always the thought that counts.
Letters from participants from across the country with their reasons for giving through the site have arrived by the thousands. To demonstrate the importance of the gift of giving, Restaurant.com offers 10 reasons why "Feed It Forward" participants have shared their gift certificates with others.
1) Lift the spirits of people who lost their jobs. Jodi R. from Massachusetts writes, "My first couple rounds of certificates are all going to friends who have been laid off in the last few weeks. I know they will appreciate both the certificates and a way to send holiday gifts to loved ones!"
2) Thank our troops. Sean O. from Washington writes, "I just got back from Iraq a bit ago. Thanks for helping me show those who supported a soldier that I love the respect they've given me and all soldiers for the past years."
3) Enable those with hardships to enjoy a meal. Sharon O. from Georgia writes, "There are families that one or both spouses are currently unemployed due to company layoff or illness. ["Feed it Forward"] gives families or individuals a chance to possibly enjoy a meal that they did not have to prepare or maybe have a meal that they other wise could not afford."
4) Support hardworking mothers and fathers. Carolyn D. from Pennsylvania writes, "I am sending [a gift certificate] to my daughter who is a single Mom trying to make ends meet with her hours being reduced. What a treat that will be. Thank you for helping me to put a smile on her face."
5) Give up until the very last-minute without a price tag. Cherish C. from Washington writes, "What a wonderful gift!! I always use Restaurant.com for my last-minute gifts and those times when I would like to do more than my pocketbook allows!"
6) Send business to local restaurants. Dave C. from Ohio writes, "What an excellent way to encourage folks to continue supporting area restaurants."
7) Deliver a warm meal to someone unable to make it home for the holidays. Donna R. from Texas writes, "Thanks, this is great! I sent [a gift certificate] to my son and his girlfriend away at college. Not a home cooked meal but almost as good, love from Mom!"
8) Reconnect with old friends. Alice G. from Illinois writes, "I have a friend and we've been together since we were in 5th grade, for more than 30 years we have been inseparable. 'Feed it Forward' helps us save money as we enjoy our time together and have great food!"
9) Share gratitude for co-workers. Teri C. of Indiana writes, "This is truly a great program. I'm able to thank clients, vendors and friends of my business that I wouldn't normally be able to afford to do. Thank you for sharing your business to help mine."
10) Embrace the spirit of the holidays and give in spite of the economy. Kim T. from Texas writes, "You have inspired a lot of people to help out and give to the community, including me. The perfect Christmas is to see an inspiration continue to grow. Thank you again."
Through the "Feed It Forward" initiative gift certificates are sent via email and do not require shipping or mailing. On a first come, first serve basis, gift givers can choose as many as three different people to give to every day through Dec. 25. Gift recipients decide where to dine among more than 5,000 participating Restaurant.com restaurants nationwide. Individuals have equal opportunity to give the free Restaurant.com gift certificates away.
People can visit http://www.Restaurant.com/FeedItForward to participate and learn more about the "Feed It Forward" initiative.
Restaurant.com connects restaurant seekers and food lovers to savings at more than 9,500 restaurants nationwide and to various online retailers. As the nation's leading online directory of restaurants and restaurant gift certificate provider, the company brings people together to relax, converse and enjoy well-prepared and -served meals at affordable prices. Restaurant.com has operated since 1999 and is based in Arlington Heights, Ill.
# # #