Montreal, Quebec (PRWEB) December 29, 2008
Fastpitch softball is more popular than ever with millions of young girls playing the sport. However, a large number of them lack athleticism and are seriously out of shape. This leads to numerous injuries and health problems. They would benefit tremendously from doing softball conditioning.
"Lack of fitness is currently a serious issue in our sport," says Coach Marc Dagenais, owner of http://www.softballperformance.com, a website that provides advice on softball training and conditioning. "The game has never been this competitive. Yet, those who play the game today lack athleticism and have never been so unfit," Dagenais says.
Marc Dagenais believes that there are two mains reason to explain this: (1) many softball players aren't practicing other sports anymore and now play softball year round -- a trend observed in many sports today and (2) kids are also generally moving less as a result of cuts in physical education programs and the direct competition of computers, video games, and television.
Coach Marc offers these tips for those youth softball coaches to help face this growing problem:
1. Play active games like tags or soccer for warm-up
2. Design your practice efficiently so that there is a little standing around and kids are active most of the time
3. Integrate some form of softball conditioning at the end of each practice even if it is only for a few minutes
4. Talk with your players about the tremendous benefits of exercise and how it is going to help their game
5. Provide your players with sample exercises and workouts that they can do on their own at home
6. Involve parents in encouraging their kids to be more active outside of softball
7. Schedule one non-softball session per week where you do conditioning and play various games
Coach Marc provides customized, softball-specific workout programs for young softball players and teams to help them get fitter, develop their athleticism and perform better on the softball field. He can be reached at 866-589-0439 ext. 704 or at http://www.softballperformance.com.
# # #