Orlando, FL (PRWEB) January 8, 2009
The Orlando Science Center along with presenting sponsor Full Sail University and other multiple partners announced the fourth annual Otronicon event to be held January 16-20, 2009. The event is designed to please families and experienced gamers alike with simulators, video games and competitions for every level of player.
Nearly 50,000 people have attended the event over the past three years to experience how digital media, simulation and interactive entertainment are changing the way we learn, live, work and play. Otronicon V.4 is open to the general public from January 16-20 and then school field trips with a digital media focus will tour simulation displays and participate in digital media workshops at the Orlando Science Center from January 21-23.
Guests of all ages -- from the hardcore to the merely curious -- will get to experience multiple presentations from all facets of interactive technology. "Otronicon V.4 is packed with opportunities to engage, explore and inspire -- from real-world military simulators to the latest videogame formats to a festival of short films created by videogame technology. Our goal with this event is to bring people together and allow them to experience these amazing technologies on a larger and grander scale than the average consumer typically gets to experience. This is not Guitar Hero in your living room," said Jeff Stanford of the Orlando Science Center.
Attendees will be able to live out their rock n roll fantasies playing Rock Band on an actual concert stage with show-quality lights and sound, tour an art exhibition of digital media and participate in video game tournaments. There is even a 'match made in Halo' wedding ceremony to attend as two gamers tie the knot (for real) during a Halo-themed wedding on January 17, which will be covered by MTV News.
Other opportunities to engage the world of interactive technology at Otronicon V.4 include:
- Experience the first annual Otronicon Machinima Festival, showcasing filmmaking that used 3D videogame technologies to create characters and settings. Then learn how to become a budding filmmaker in this new genre.
- Cutting edge simulators used for military, commercial and industrial training thanks to the support of sponsor and event partner Lockheed Martin and others.
- Learn how videogame technology is being used to train soldiers, pilots, drivers, medical professionals and more.
- Attend design workshops hosted by Full Sail University and learn about career opportunities in the Orlando area. This year, Otronicon and Full Sail University are also offering a digital media workshop exclusively for Girl Scouts on Monday, January 19.
- Play on multiple gaming stations including, Wii, Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 to experience some of today's most popular games, plus networked multiplayer formats and more. See how video games can be both virtual and physical in the Wii Sports and Wii Fit arenas.
- Explore ARTronica presented by Full Sail University -- a digital art exhibition featuring selected works from their digital media school.
- Check out PC gaming with the world's largest MMORPG in the World of Warcraft dungeon, courtesy of Gigibits Gaming Center.
- Compete in tournaments against other players. Individuals and teams will be matched against each other during rounds of some of the hottest games including Guitar Hero, Rock Band and Super Smash Melee.
- Participate in impromptu 'lightning round' competitions at game stations positioned throughout the event.
- Stroll down memory lane with a display of nostalgic video games like Pac-Man and Donkey Kong and a display devoted to the evolution of Apple/Mac systems.
- Kids will enjoy pint-sized gaming activities like the V-smile art studio, dancing games, a piano teaching station, interactive storybook adventure and V-motion.
Daily admission to Otronicon is $17 for adults and $12 for children under age 12. OSC members receive free admission. For complete daily schedules, links to Otronicon pages on YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and MySpace, go to http://www.otronicon.org/ or call 407-514-2000 for more information. Join the conversation about Otronicon at http://otronicon.ning.com.
About Otronicon: Otronicon is an annual event presented by Full Sail University and held at the Orlando Science Center. The event showcases interactive and videogaming technologies and how they have affected every aspect of our lives from military applications, art, entertainment and fitness.
# # #