By partnering with PWP's in-house designers, we were able to develop a product that eliminates opening issues entirely for consumers. PWP was with us at every step, from conducting consumer research to delivery of the product.
Vernon, CA (PRWEB) January 13, 2009
PWP Industries is introducing award winning revolutionary new cake packaging which features a unique locking design that makes cake domes easy-to-open and reseal. This innovative package will alleviate the struggle consumers sometimes have when opening traditional cake domes.
"Consumers' number one packaging concern about ready-to-sell cakes can be about getting the plastic packaging open," says Hugh Brooks, Senior Product Manager, Dawn Food Products, one of the world's largest independently owned bakery manufacturer and supplier based in Jackson, Michigan.
Looking for a way to add value and convenience for their customers and consumers, Dawn Food Products collaborated with PWP Industries to develop a solution. The result is a revolution in bakery packaging -- the Twist-Top™ Cake Dome.
This easy-to-open, easy-to-close cake dome with base reduces damage to iced cakes, cake decorations and helps keep cakes fresh on-shelf and in consumers' homes. By using the two tabs, the dome can be twisted and easily lifted from the base to open. To close, the dome just needs to be snapped on. This makes it convenient for cake processors and for consumers at home.
Says Brooks, "By partnering with PWP's in-house designers, we were able to develop a product that eliminates opening issues entirely for consumers. PWP was with us at every step, from conducting consumer research to delivery of the product."
Brooks adds, "It wasn't enough for the packaging to offer a functional benefit alone. Ready-to-sell cakes are often impulse buys, representing nearly 30 percent of in-store bakery purchases. Our customers need packaging that lends the product an enticing, upscale presentation. The revamped dome design with clear lid, reduced dome height and new labels will help our customers sell more cake. We also improved the package dimensions to save on shelf space and materials, which benefits the environment."
The Twist-Top™ was warmly received by PWP's peers in the plastics industry and received the 2008 Silver Consumer Packaging Award from the Society of Plastic Engineers (SPE). Judging was based on product creativity, design complexity, surface finish, secondary operations, technical difficulty, innovation and materials used.
Twist-Top's many benefits include:
- Easy-to-open Twist-Top™ feature reduces damage to cake decorations when opening and closing. The easy-to-open feature also makes it simpler for the elderly and for those with physical limitations to open and close the cake package.
- Easy-to-open Twist-Top™ feature reduces damage to cake decorations when opening and closing.
- Easy-to-close Twist-Top™ feature allows cake processors to snap the dome shut without any twisting being necessary.
- Smooth dome with outstanding clarity and black base enhance overall appearance and visibility of the cake.
- Straight wall design has the potential of up to 20-25% freight savings and display space reductions over other cake dome designs.
- Secure Air Tight Seal locks-in freshness for maximum product shelf life in-store.
- Excellent Product Strength protects food items, is crack resistant, excellent for frozen food applications.
- Secure Stacking for effective transport, stable displays and ease of handling.
- A greener choice - Twist-Top™ is made of PETE, the world's most recycled plastic.
Twist-Top™ currently is available in a 4 1/2-inch-tall dome and a 5-inch-tall dome for 7-inch cakes and a 4 3/4 inch-tall dome and 5-inch tall dome for 8-inch cakes. Twist-Top™ packaging also can be ordered in custom sizes upon request. For more information on pricing and sales, please contact PWP Industries, toll-free, (877)-700-0330.
PWP Industries, founded in 1998, is a leading PETE and Polypropylene food packaging thermoformer in North America, with manufacturing plants located in Vernon California, Abilene Texas, and Mineral Wells West Virginia. PWP is highly regarded in the food packaging industry for producing competitively priced quality parts, superb customer service, and innovative product designs. Learn more at http://www.pwpindustries.com.
American-owned and family operated, Dawn Food Products, Inc. currently supplies a complete line of quality, consistent mixes, bases, icings, glazes, fillings, frozen dough, par-baked and fully baked products and equipment to the food industry, worldwide. For over 85 years, Dawn's dedicated employees, outstanding products and valued customers have made the Dawn name synonymous with excellence. For further information, please visit http://www.dawnfoods.com.