Friday always tends to be busier on our roads with work and school finishing and some motorists rushing off to their weekend destination
Brisbane, QLD (PRWEB) January 29, 2009
NRMA Insurance is urging QLD drivers, particularly those heading away for the long weekend, to take care on the road after it was revealed Friday is the worst day of the week for collisions.*
The car insurance provider said collisions on Fridays spike by around 22 per cent above average, with the peak hour times of 3pm to 5pm being the worst time. Sunday is easily the least likely day of the week to have a collision, with the volume dropping by 33 per cent below average.
NRMA Insurance spokesperson Frank Adler said the research was a timely reminder to drive safely on QLD roads as we approach the Australia Day long weekend.
"Friday always tends to be busier on our roads with work and school finishing and some motorists rushing off to their weekend destination," explained Mr Adler. "And no doubt tonight, with many expecting to take advantage of the long weekend, there will be even more cars on the road."
"This increased traffic volume means we all should be a little more cautious. This includes being aware of traffic and weather conditions, and above all, staying calm," continued Mr Adler. "It's better to be patient and focus your attention on safe driving rather than end your week and add to your stress with a crash."
For more information on road safety, visit http://www.nrmaqld.com.au/roadsafety.
In the event of a collision, NRMA Insurance recommends drivers:
- Stop immediately and give assistance to anyone who is injured;
- Call an ambulance if required;
- Call the police if; a person has been killed or injured, the other party fails to stop and/or supply details, a vehicle has to be towed, a driver appears under the influence of drugs or alcohol or there is damage to property;
- Exchange details, including date, time and location, name and residential address of the person involved, license and registration details, make and model of the cars involved and car insurance details;
- Collect the details of any witnesses and police in attendance; and
- Contact your insurance company
*Based on NRMA Insurance claims data.
About NRMA Insurance QLD:
NRMA Insurance QLD offer car insurance policies, home insurance, contents insurance & more for residents of Queensland.