(PRWEB) February 7, 2009
Sky celebrates its 20th anniversary today, 5th February 2009. As part of the series of activities planned to mark this Sky anniversary, the company has created a dedicated microsite offering customers the opportunity to reflect on some of Sky's significant highlights from the last two decades.
As well as providing an image rich library of key milestones across Sky News, Sky Sports and Sky's entertainment channels, the site also hosts a detailed pictorial timeline, outlines some of the company's major technological breakthroughs, showcases memorable Sky adverts, and also invites visitors to vote for their favourite moments and suggest the TV innovations of the future.
- Sky timeline - Highlights key events and milestones in Sky's 20 year history
- 20 years of Sky News - Charting 20 of the most significant Sky News stories since 1989
- Sky's advertising vault - Showcasing 20 of Sky's memorable ads and promos
- Favourite moments - An interactive section which allows visitors to vote for their favourite sporting and entertainment moments on Sky
- Innovations lab - Invites visitors to submit their ideas for the innovations and experience they would like to see from Sky in 20 years time.
Sky Television launched on 5th February 1989 with four channels - the Sky Channel, Sky News, Sky Movies and Eurosport. Since that time, the company has led the way in the birth and growth of multichannel TV, the move to digital, the introduction of innovative products such as Sky+ and Sky Broadband, and is now leading the UK into a new High Definition era.
20 years on, the company now reaches one in thee homes in the UK and Ireland (9.2 million), is the fastest growing broadband and home phone provider and is now pioneering the growth of high definition with Sky+HD, Europe's leading HD service. The company also continues to break new ground with its content brands, with Sky News, Sky Sports, Sky1, Sky Arts and Sky Real Lives continuing to raise the bar with innovation programming.
The site can be accessed at: http://www.sky.com/20years