It's essential that all students, children and adults alike, have access to reliable reference and learning materials. Gran Enciclopedia Hispánica offers this to the growing population of Spanish speakers in the U.S.
Chicago, IL (PRWEB) February 9, 2009
World Book, Inc. today announced the launch of Gran Enciclopedia Hispánica, a comprehensive online Spanish-language encyclopedia designed for native Spanish speakers, bilingual students and ESL/ELL (English as a second language/English language learners). Offered as part of the World Book Web of online reference resources, Gran Enciclopedia Hispánica was created through a partnership with Hispánica Saber, one of the world's most respected Spanish-language publishers.
"It's essential that all students, children and adults alike, have access to reliable reference and learning materials. Gran Enciclopedia Hispánica offers this to the growing population of Spanish speakers in the U.S.," said Patti Ginnis, chief marketing officer for World Book.
Written from a Latin American perspective, Gran Enciclopedia Hispánica includes more than 100,000 articles. It offers broad coverage of all fields of knowledge with a special emphasis on science, technology, history, and art topics. Among its learning enhancement and re-enforcement features are:
- Special sections that highlight curriculum-related topics of study and encourage students to further explore;
- Tens of thousands of biographies that can be accessed through the search engine or directory;
- An interactive atlas that offers thousands of maps with information on all countries of the world;
- More than 9,000 illustrations, videos, animations, and sounds, which contribute to language comprehension;
- A timeline feature that helps students develop a historical perspective through interactive research;
- An extensive library of educational resources, which include a homework help area and a collection of interactive learning activities;
- A visual navigation tool that helps students not proficient in Spanish find the topic they need; and
- A dictionary to help clarify meaning and expand students' vocabularies.
In addition to Gran Enciclopedia Hispánica, the World Book Web also includes Enciclopedia Estudiantil Hallazgos. This beginning-level Spanish encyclopedia site includes thousands of articles, illustrations, and maps, and an easy-to-use, bilingual interface.
Subscribing to Gran Enciclopedia Hispánica
Gran Enciclopedia Hispánica is available as a standalone subscription or an addition to an existing World Book Web subscription. A special discount is available to schools and libraries adding Gran Enciclopedia Hispánica to any other World Book Web subscription. Gran Enciclopedia Hispánica is available now from World Book's school and library sales force at 800-975-3250 (U.S.) or 800-837-5365 (Canada) or from World Book's dedicated school and library ordering site (http://www.worldbookonline.com/sales).
About World Book:
World Book, Inc. sets the standard in publishing accurate, current, and reliable reference and learning materials for children and adults. Based in Chicago, World Book is committed to creating educational products that meet the highest standards of editorial excellence in print and online. This commitment has resulted in a wide range of products including the number-one selling The World Book Encyclopedia and the World Book Web, which is the most comprehensive and authoritative online solution to meet the diverse learning needs of students and includes World Book Student, World Book Advanced, World Book Discover, and World Book Kids as well as French- and Spanish-language references. World Book (http://www.worldbook.com) is a Scott Fetzer company, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, Inc.
Jennifer Parello, 312-819-6558
Mary Jung, 773-429-0940