With heavy rain, strong winds and snow sweeping across the UK, it is essential that homeowners do everything that they can to weather-proof their homes. In fact, the combination of the recent snow melting and the excessive rainfall, means that many homes are now at risk of flooding.
Cardiff, (PRWEB) February 12, 2009
Darren Black, head of home insurance at Confused.com, advises homeowners to protect their homes from the risk of flooding:
"With heavy rain, strong winds and snow sweeping across the UK, it is essential that homeowners do everything that they can to weather-proof their homes. In fact, the combination of the recent snow melting and the excessive rainfall, means that many homes are now at risk of flooding."
"We advise households, including those who have been lucky enough to escape flooding in the past, to protect their homes, by:
- Reviewing their existing house insurance policies to make sure that they are covered for flood risk and that their contents value is up-to-date
- Thinking about what can be moved now - in terms of furniture or sentimental items, such as photographs - to limit the effects, should the worst happen
- Preparing a flood kit for emergencies, including insurance documents, contact details, a first aid kit, waterproof clothing and a torch."
"However, it is not only households in flood-risk areas who need to take precautions. Some of the more recent heavy rainfall has affected areas traditionally not seen as flood-risk areas. With this in mind, Confused.com encourages consumers to avoid rain damage, by:
- Making sure that their guttering is clear, to prevent excessive rainfall from flowing back into the eaves of their houses
- Making sure that the drains in their back gardens, especially patios or paved areas, are cleared of any debris and able to cope with a deluge."
For further information please contact:
Press office,Confused.com. 02920 434 398
Joanna Harte/ Gug Kyriacou, Polhill Communications. 020 7655 0550
Notes to editors
Confused.com is one of the UK's biggest and most popular price comparison services. Launched in 2002, it generates over one million quotes per month. It has expanded its range of comparison products over the last couple of years to include car insurance, home insurance, travel insurance, pet insurance, van insurance, motorbike insurance, breakdown cover and energy, as well as financial services products including credit cards, loans, mortgages and life insurance.
Confused.com has a panel of 60 home insurers - its typical customer saves £183.05* on their annual home insurance policy.
Confused.com is not a supplier, insurance company or broker. It provides a free, objective and unbiased comparison service. By using cutting-edge technology, it has developed a series of intelligent web-based solutions that evaluate a number of risk factors to help customers with their decision-making, subsequently finding them great deals on a wide-range of insurance products, financial services, utilities and more. Confused.com's service is based on the most up-to-date information provided by UK suppliers and industry regulators.
Confused.com is owned by the Admiral Group plc. Admiral listed on the London Stock Exchange in September 2004. Confused.com is regulated by the FSA.
- Based on the average customer savings made in 2008.
# # #