San Diego, CA (PRWEB) February 13, 2009
The American Society for Apheresis (ASFA) is pleased to announce the 30th Annual Meeting, to be held May 20-23, 2009 in San Diego, California.
The purpose of the ASFA Annual Meeting is to provide physicians, scientists, and allied health professionals with a forum that:
- Promotes research in the various aspects of apheresis in both the donor and patient settings
- Fosters the development and maintenance of skill levels in apheresis
- Encourages cross-disciplinary participation in Society activities
- Supports peer interaction and networking in the setting of a quality educational program
ASFA 2009 will provide apheresis professionals with an unparalleled educational and networking venue - and thereby will be an invaluable asset to the American healthcare system. Dr. Ziggy Szczepiorkowski, ASFA President Elect and Chair of the ASFA 2009 Organizing Committee explained that, "New developments in therapeutic and donor apheresis impact lives of many individuals worldwide. Many patients directly benefit from evidence based approach to therapeutic apheresis strongly endorsed by the Society. Even more patients, often unknowingly, benefit from transfusion of blood components collected using apheresis based technology. The Annual Meeting is a venue where those who work in the field of apheresis can exchange ideas; learn from their peers and thought leaders in the field; and bring back newly acquired knowledge to their institutions to benefit patients and donors alike."
Last year's Annual Meeting attracted almost 700 participants, including MD and PhD clinicians and scientists, as well as allied health professionals. Other attendees include regulatory professionals, corporate management, marketing personnel, and investment professionals.
Upon completion of the ASFA 2009 Annual Meeting participants will be able to:
- Apply the principles of evidenced-based knowledge to donor and therapeutic apheresis
- Discuss the latest scientific, clinical, and technological advances in donor and therapeutic apheresis
- Discuss the general practice of apheresis medicine and its role in the donor and patient setting
These objectives will be accomplished through scientific symposia, educational sessions, oral and poster abstracts, interactive case studies and discussions, networking sessions, and an industry exhibition.
ASFA, officially formed in 1981, has been the proud host to 29 highly successful scientific conferences. The ASFA Annual Meeting is the premier educational, scientific, and networking conference for professionals in the field of apheresis medicine. The American Society for Apheresis (ASFA) is an organization of physicians, scientists, and allied health professionals whose mission is lead the field of apheresis through patient and donor care, research, education and advocacy.
Further information can be obtained on the ASFA website, http://www.apheresis.org.