Pangea Media Survey Finds Tween and Young Teen Drinking Less Common Than is Often Portrayed

Share Article

Pangea Media, a leader in online quizzes and quiz technology, has released the results of its latest "Pangea Pulse," which tracked the attitudes and preferences of over 2,000 of its tween and teen users towards drinking, ahead of the St. Patrick's Day holiday.

Pangea Media, a leader in online quizzes and quiz technology, has released the results of its latest "Pangea Pulse," which tracked the attitudes and preferences of over 2,000 of its tween and teen users towards drinking, ahead of the St. Patrick's Day holiday.

Contrary to popular media representations of teens, the recent survey on Quibblo found that 42 percent of teens and tweens said that they have never had a drink, and an additional 28 percent said they had only had a drink once. While 66 percent said they do not drink at a party where alcohol is served, the remaining 34 percent drink because they like the taste (15 percent), because they will have more fun (13 percent) or because everyone else is doing it (six percent).

Of those respondents who drink alcohol, 18 percent said their parents buy it for them, and nine percent said their parents let them drink in the house under supervision. The overwhelming majority of teens and tweens surveyed who consume alcohol, however, said they take alcohol from their parents (42 percent). Only two percent of those who drink and have a driver's license said they drive after drinking.

The survey also found that perceptions of the effects of alcohol consumption differ between respondents who do and do not drink. Of the respondents who say they drink, the most common reason cited was that drinking makes them feel happy (27 percent). Meanwhile, of the respondents who do not drink, 35 percent imagine it would make them feel sick.

About Pangea Media
Pangea Media is a casual entertainment and online advertising company that uses the power of quizzes to bring consumers and marketers together. Pangea operates a network of quiz sites including Quibblo.com, QuizRocket.com, MyCareerQuizzes.com, MovieNachos.com and Dumbspot.com that enables users to share quiz-based content within the Pangea network and through other social media channels. With more than eight million unique visitors each month and almost 100 million page views per month, Pangea is one of the dominant players in the quiz space. Pangea Media is located in Watertown, MA and can be reached at 1-617-923-0000 or pangeamedia.com.

###

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Julie Wingerter
Pangea Media
617-923-0000 ext. 220
Email >

Lisa Langsdorf
Visit website